Throttle Body Spacers -worth the money?

I've got an '87 Chevy Pick Up

4.3L V6 TBI TH400 transmission (for sure)

I think in '87 the 4.3 had around 150 HP. Fine around town but I could use a little more power when pulling my trailer (3500 pounds).

Looking for an easy fix I came across these Throttle Body Spacers. All over the web actually.

Anyone have an opinion on them?

Also thinking of getting more air to the motor by adding another snorkel and drilling out the existing snorkel intake to get more of a 'ram air' effect. Right now the intake is flat plastic and air is drawn in from the sides.

Reply to
Slap

Save your money. Those spacers and air cleaner mods are not going to help you. Short of an engine change, the only thing you can do to get more pulling power is to change the rear axle ratio to a lower ratio like 3.73. This will hurt your mileage when not towing, but there are no free lunches (or easy fixes for your problem).

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

POS. just a gimmick to suck money out of your wallet.

Ram air MIGHT work if you ducted it into a place with high pressure air. On an 87 there should be some positive pressure at the cowl.

Reply to
Steve W.