Trans making truck shake? help! its gonna shake itself apart...

89 c1500 305 th700r4 all origional When the truck is in O/D it shakes really bad around 50mph/80kph and seams to increase with speed. but at the same speed in D there is no shake. any ideas?
Reply to
BIGSteve

It probably needs a major tune-up---> plugs, wires cap and rotor. Excessive load on engine in OD causing it to miss and run like junk. Kinda like a

5-speed manual, trying to accelerate at 20 mph in 5th gear.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

ok so it might not be the tranny. I put plugs in it bout a month ago so i guess its off to the parts store for a rotor and cap.

Reply to
BIGSteve

Your forgot the most important part, the plug wires. A shot wire that is arcing will cause the exact same symptoms you are describing. Fire it up in a DARK area (garage with lights off) and see if you have a fireworks display.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

yeah

you've got a bad engine misfire that you are feeling when converter locks up

Reply to
TranSurgeon

you sure it is at 50 and not closer to 45 it may be your converter lockup.

Reply to
Randd01

not sure where it starts ill pay more attention today. Someone else told me it could be the converter too. is there any way do diagnose this?

Reply to
BIGSteve

Jesus Mary and Joseph

it's NOT the converter

it's an engine misd-fire that is only apparent when the converter is locked up

good grief, this ain't rocket science.................

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I already told him WAY up in the thread she just needs a major tune-up to start with..................and that his problem was likely caused by a miss..................just can't help some people G................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

whoa slow down I just wanted to narrow down my options. the truck is old has lots of KM (396 000) and if it was something major it was off to the junkyard with it.

I replaced the distributer cap and rotor and all seams better for now. thanks for all the input. sorry for all doubt.

Steve

Reply to
BIGSteve