HELP making me crazy!

I bought a 1997 bravada last week needed work but worth the deal even still. I have had the shift differential replaced, upper lower ball joints outer tie rods, brake lines, alternator, and the basic oil change, plugs, and filters. ( New tires and alligment after all done) Here is my problem, start the vechile all is good drive still good, about 25mph there is a hum. This hum increases with speed especially around 50mph and does not go away. Now it sounds exactely like the engine is straining like winding not shifting but I assure you it is as I freaked and kept my eyes on rpms and they drop when they should. I am questioning bearings but my hubby say no it wouldn't have alligned if it was that. The wheel does not pull shimmy shake or vibrate well the hum causes a slight feel of vibration it sounds like a jet when going and even slowing down sounds like it's coming in for a landing. The car(suv style) Is solid I mean it does not move at all VERY solid. ok guys PLEASE help bearings? fan? I heard there is some sort of clutch for fan on and off I am trully clueless. Any feed back is greatly appreciated ...april

Reply to
April

It sounds to me like wheel bearings and/or tires worn funny from being misaligned. This is of course assuming that the pitch of the sound is only dependent on road speed and not engine speed.

Does the noise change at all when you shift into neutral while moving? If not, that's a pretty good sign that it's either wheel bearings or tires.

If it *does* change when you shift into neutral, but pitch is dependent only on road speed, then it's likely something driveline related - a ring an pinion, transfer case, U-joint (or CV joint?) something like that.

If it is engine speed related, it is likely something attached to the engine, go figure. Like a fan, alternator, water pump, belt tensioner pulley, P/S pump, etc. etc. etc. a starter with the bendix caught in the flywheel will make an unholy racket, until the starter stops working (after the armature flies apart.) Do you hear the noise when you rev up the engine in neutral? Or only when moving? If the latter, but it's still engine speed related, it might be a transmission problem.

Basically if you think about how the car works and try to figure out what parts are moving at what speeds when you hear the noise, that will help you narrow down where to look.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What I would do. Find a safe stretch of highway. Dry, daytime, little traffic. Take it up to the speed limit and then put it into neutral and take foot off the accelerator pedal.

Still have the hum? Engine isn't the problem...suspension or related components are.

Hum went away? Engine and/or transmission.

So now, in 5 minutes, you've narrowed it down.

Do this first and come back for further suggestions.

Pick a spot and time of day with little to no traffic and a good dry roadbed.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Sounds a lot like a CV joint. They just slowly keep getting worse and worse. Luckily they aren't that expensive to replace..

A good mechanic can 'feel' the CV joint if he test drives it.

Joseph

Reply to
joseph

pulley, this afternoon cause had ridiculous whistling sound hence the alternator) when push gas noise increases let go of gas it decreases but still there, I thought was muffler system but coming from front drivers side if I had to guess. Muffler etc checked all good. Does a car allign if wheel bearings bad???? OH about shifting can't feel it or hear it smooth I had to watch RPMs to make sure car is shifting and she is prefectly.

Reply to
April

THANK YOU! WILL DO as soon as here in Rhode Island it stop raining or snowing ;-) Can I asdk you a question I also noticed my fan seems to run constantly could that be it?

Reply to
April

Which fan? the heater fan or radiator fan?

Either way, I doubt it.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. A wheel bearing can be failing and it won't affect alignment- don't know where that idea came from.

A quick check you can do- get it rolling and making the noise, then lift your foot off the gas and shift to neutral (careful! don't overshoot into reverse. If the noise doesn't change, its related to wheel bearings, axles, driveshafts, differentials, etc. If it does change, its engine and engine-driven component related.

Reply to
Steve

radiator fan and wouldn't you know today with a good look I realized one of the blades is broken!!!!!

Reply to
April

Well. That'll make a racket all right.

Reply to