Transmission problem.

The transmission is acting up on my '93 Chevy 3/4 ton 2 w/d pickup. It's a

4L80E with a 6.5 turbodiesel. I noticed it would be in 2nd gear from a dead stop instead of 1st. Also, it won't shift into 4th. The TCC is working in 3rd. Also, if I put the gear selector in 1st and try to move from a dead stop, it's just as if the brakes are locked. Won't move in 1st. It's got 235,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt, and I imagine that's what I need to be ready for. Haven't put my scan tool on it yet. No SES light. Was just wondering if anyone here has seen this before and it's something simple like a shift solenoid or something easy to replace? Been far and away the best pickup I've ever had and I intend to keep it as long as possible. Thanks for any help.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I think a solenoid is a good guess. I had a problem with an 1990 Olds Silhouette minivan that would stay in 3rd or overdrive when I stopped at a light or stop sign. When I started up again, it would still be in 3rd or overdrive, jerking and bucking until it had enough torque to pull. I was lucky the dealer service advisor had previously been a transmission guy, because he diagnosed the problem immediately.

Reply to
William Andersen