transmission problem

I own a 1999 silverado,2wd,recently the trans started slipping after changing to second,so i changed the filter and that stoped the slipping.

But,now the trans makes a metal rubbing sound(kinda like worn out brake pads) when i fist start driving,nose goes away after shifting out of first.

To confirm that it was coming from the trans,i place the shift lever in low and drove about 20 feet,confirmed the metal rubbing sound was at low range,stoped drove another 20 feet in second range,metal rubbing sound was not present,drove another 20 feet in third range,metal rubbing was also not present.

I described the noise to another mechanic i work with(i'm a john deere mechanic) who works on autos on the side,he said he thought the low range planetary was going out.

And last but not least,as i was driving home,about 2 miles from home,the rpms started falling then pick back up then fall again like the engine was trying to die.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thank You

Reply to
jmp49

N/M, the transmission has gone south