trying to get a 1986 chevy 350 running

Hi All,
I am trying to get a 1986 Chevy 350 running. The engine has been sitting for two years and it will not spin with the starter, what is the process to
get it spinning? I pulled out the plugs and they were clean (no rust), the oil in the engine is clean and does not smell stale. My uncle says to just put a breaker bar on the balancer and rock it back in forth until it spins. Is this ok, it seams to me that would be very hard on the bearings? I have already put oil (30wt) in the cylinders and am letting it soak. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, mark
I think your uncle has it right....... if you see no major rust around, it probably is just gunked up. Those bearings are stronger than you think.
r_d wrote:

I'd try to spin the oil pump with an electric drill for a bit. This might force the oil into the bearings. Wouldn't hurt and might help the old motor get going.

in
spins.
have
r_d wrote:

Pour a pint of Marvel mystery oil in the engine oil and cylinders, let it sit for while. Then do like your Uncle says. Then drain and replace the oil before starting.
Thanks for the replies. The sad part is it is in a boat that has been sitting on a trailer for the past years. The boat has been used so little that the engine has less then 50 hrs on it so it isn't even broken in yet. I have soaked it in Marvel mystery oil then went over to normal engine oil before I initially tried to spin it. So I will go back and shoot a little more in there. Thanks again
mark
"r_d" wrote:

If it does not spin, it is likely pistons siezed in bores and not bearings. A great trick for freeing rusted bores is Pepsi or Coke (it has Phospheric Acid which eats rust) Pour it in and let it sit over night, Deit work even better because there is no sticky sugar residue left in engine if left to sit too long. It real does work but may not in your case because you poured oil in cylinders which would block the acid in the pop.

As an update to this thread... I bought an adapter to spin the crank with a wrench. Gave the wrench a good tug and it broke free. Turned it by hand for a half hour to get a little oil through the bearings and it started to spin free w/ little drag. Found water in the oil (not happy) changed it out, changed starter that was rusted solid, converted points ignition to solid state Hall Effect and new carb (the engine was in a boat...). Fast forward to July... Now the engine runs like a dream, in fact better then when it was new. I ran it 5 hrs with "too thin" oil to loosen everything up and have gone back to the required 30wt oil; was amazed the thin oil (in this case 10w30) was dirty after 5 hrs but that was its purpose, to clean out all of the crud... So I appreciate everybody's help it paid off and was much appreciated.
thanks mark