Locking devices 2005 Silverado

Just got a new-to-me 2005 Chevy Silverado, and I'm looking for a locking gas cap and tailgate lock. Google hasn't shown anything for the 2005 yet, but still looking.

The 2005 drives OK, but I really miss my 92 Silverado. Had 314K miles and was running great, then a cop responding to a call runs a red light and broadsides me. I can't think that I'm going to have as good luck with this new truck as my 92, but we'll see. Sure is a bunch of new electrical/computer stuff that I could do without.

Live in a high theft area, so got the windows etched and lojack will be installed this afternoon. Ordered locking lug nuts, and got a cross-rail locking tool box for the back.

Seatcovers are hard to find with the weird bump in the seat back for the belt.

Still on the first tank of gas, so don't know what my milage will be, got 21 freeway on my 92...... really miss that truck!

So anyway, if anyone knows where I can find a locking gas cap for a 2005 Silverado, please post.

Thanks in advance.

--muskrat--

Reply to
muskrat

OK, OK, we get the message - you really miss your old truck.

Locking gas caps and tailgate locks are the same for 1999-2005. If you search on eBay for anything for the 2004's it will fit. However, both are easily defeated. I suggest that you go to a local shop that specializes in truck accessories and see if you can get a remote release installed for your gas door. J.C. Whitney also has remote power locks for your tailgate as well, but I don't know if they are any more secure than the keyed ones. I got my heavy canvas-type cloth seat covers on eBay for the front and rear for $65.00/each. I bought the ones for the front, and the dealer (who was also the manufacturer) mentioned that they had the ones for the rear seat for the same price and I just went ahead and got them directly at the same time.

My auto insurance agent showed me a trick to make your tailgate harder to steal many years ago. Take a standard stainless steel screw type hose clamp and wrap it around the bung on the right side of the tailgate where it pivots. This is the side that must be raised when removing the tailgate. Rotate the screw mechanism on the clamp so that it is blocked by the tailgate skin and use a small open-end wrench to tighten it down firmly. You won't be able to lift your tailgate up on the right side to remove it unless you remove the hose clamp first, and you won't be able to get the hose clamp off unless you have exactly the right sized wrench and know where to look. It doesn't make theft impossible, just much more difficult.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Thanks for the response Jonathan, but you are wrong on the gas cap issue.

I went to Kragen and Napa and the dealer and tried the 2004 caps that they had. They fit, but don't lock - you can just pull it out. 2004's are screw in type, and 2005's have a shallow bayonette lug type throat. Dealer says none yet made. Kragen and Napa both only have listings for up to 2004.

Google searches for various combinations of locking gas cap and 2005 silverado give mega hits, but none yet that say they will fit a 2005. Called three of the after market companies, and once you get a knowledgeable person on the line, they told me none exist yet.

The remote opening cable setup may be the final way to go, but routing will be interesting. I guess I could also punch a hole in the lid and fit a lock? Reluctant to do that as of now.

Did find a good looking keyed tailgate latch/handle lock for the 2005 made by "Pop n Lock" but the hose clamp idea is also a good one. I'll do both.

Lojack, steering wheel locks, alarms, computer chips in keys, etched glass, and everything will never stop a determined thief, just slow them down and hopefully have them look for an easier target. Of course it will also piss him off and he will run his crewdriver or keys down the side of your truck as he walks away

Seat covers will have to wait a few months.

.......and yes I do miss my old truck!!!

--muskrat--

J> OK, OK, we get the message - you really miss your old truck.

Reply to
muskrat

I've always heard the Gm dealer locking cap is decent. Go here

and register onthe forum and then you can buy parts discounted from its owner.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

"muskrat" wrote: > Just got a new-to-me 2005 Chevy Silverado, and I'm looking for > a locking > gas cap and tailgate lock. Google hasn't shown anything for > the 2005 > yet, but still looking. > > The 2005 drives OK, but I really miss my 92 Silverado. Had > 314K miles > and was running great, then a cop responding to a call runs a > red light > and broadsides me. > I can't think that I'm going to have as good luck with this > new truck as > my 92, but we'll see. Sure is a bunch of new > electrical/computer stuff > that I could do without. > > Live in a high theft area, so got the windows etched and > lojack will be > installed this afternoon. Ordered locking lug nuts, and got a > cross-rail locking tool box for the back. > > Seatcovers are hard to find with the weird bump in the seat > back for the > belt. > > Still on the first tank of gas, so don't know what my milage > will be, > got 21 freeway on my 92...... really miss that truck! > > So anyway, if anyone knows where I can find a locking gas cap > for a 2005 > Silverado, please post. > > Thanks in advance. > > --muskrat--

I wouldn?t go with the Pop n Lock. I used to have it, had to keep ordering duplicate keys because it would jam up and would have to force the key to unlock. I also have bene doing the hose clamp thing, but remember that only keeps the t?gate from being stolen not opened. Once i put in remote power door locks and windows i installled power t?gate lock. Got the power t?gate from stylinconcepts.com, its the same model as jcwhitney has.

Jonathan Race1 - is your truck late model chevy- I haven?t seen seat covers for my seats. my 04 is ext cab so belt shoulder is mounted on seat by headrest-

- is this only so on ext cab where there is no piller to mount belt to.

- i?m seeing listings for 04 chevys but pic is of standerd seat - no s.belt mounted. or is this just a standerd pic the advertise with.

- are there any for my style seets

Reply to
Maack