Wasps

Hello all...

I just cleaned all the mice garbage out of my '84 GMC's fan compartment and A/C coil area. What a mess. Disgusting too. At least it got the smell out of there for good.

However...I went back out to the truck and found that some *really* angry wasps have moved into the vent system. I'd like to get them out of there, but I am very mildly allergic to their stings and would rather not find an angry family in there after turning the vent fan on!

What to do to get them out of there?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they carry a foaming spray that is wonderful on things like this. It sprays out in a small but powerful stream (good spray distance) and then when it hits it expands/foams. This foam clings to everything it hits, weighing down the wasp so it can't fly, and then within a few seconds the bug dies anyhow. If you are concerned about getting stung, wear a large hat with a mesh netting over your head, blue jeans, and a jacket with some leather gloves. Yeah it's hot, but only for a few minutes.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Why not invite a few bud's over fer a bbq and a couple cold ones. then get on of them to use a garden hose to stand back and drown out the nest.

Reply to
Elvis

How about using one of those bug bombs in the cab? With the doors closed I would think that the gasses would get into all the nooks and crannies of the whole cab, and probably all the way into the engine compartment. Just remember that the gasses are highly flammable, and the concentration level in the cab would be a bomb waiting to go off. You would not want to open the doors for a few days at least. And disconnect the battery for sure.

Wendy

Reply to
Wendy

Elvis, I believe this is the best advice yet. I think I'll have another cold one.

Reply to
George Killingsworth

Drive it up to the fire department and let them smoke the wasps out, they got the gear. Don't forget the beers :)

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

So NOW we're going to spray a garden hose in this guy's truck vents? First expanding insecticide foam, now water. This fukkin truck ought to be in real good shape when you all are done with it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

OMG!! I missed one. NOW we're going to smoke damage the entire interior of the truck.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Have a beer steve ! or a joint, and mellow out! Or maybe you should get in his truck and dig out the wasps with a Q-Tip. lol youv'e flamed 3 ideas. but have you presented any ?

Bug Bomb and shut the doors for interior bugs. (Good post Wendy) The vent or drain or whatever ya call it under the windshield, on the exterior, use a garden hose.

On the other hand if the wasps in your neighbourhood are about 6 feet tall, and wear shiny shoes, go with smith and wesson. just kidding.lol

Reply to
grunt/sniff

Why not let the truck idle for a bit so it gets real hot, wear some thick clothing, turn the heater to its hottest setting, set it to the vents, roll down the windows, hit the fan and run like hell! Burn those SOB's right out of your vents.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Yes, as a matter of fact I did post a perfectly good suggestion that works. And it does not ruin the truck or blow it up. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The second reasonable suggestion on this matter.

Reply to
Steve Barker

actually steve, I count your name 4 times now in this thread, and not one of the posts was a suggestion.

Flames 3 repeaters 1.

Reply to
Elvis

Well having looked back at the already read posts, I stand corrected. I had a little issue with Outlook last night and it was during that reply that it crashed. I'll post my suggestion as a reply to the original note.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Cover where the air shoots out of with lots of duct tape.

Try the "just vent" idea first - it's cheaper.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I saw that movie once too!!

John

Reply to
eightupman

Yep. It shouldn't be too difficult to wipe out once the buggers are dead. If you don't first kill them, you can never get to the second step.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

A cowboy hat or something of that wide brimmed style would work fine (a women's sun hat). Wal-Mart sells golf hats cheap in this style. For the netting, any good sporting goods store should have them. Walmart or Ace Hardware might also (our local Target has them I know). Worst case, get some window screen and drape it over your head, and then secure it over the collar of your shirt/jacket (Duct Tape opportunity!).

The foam can be wiped out once you kill the wasps. The can can tell you some of the basic Haz/Mat info, and the rest you can look up online. If you don't know how/where to access Haz/Mat info let me know and I'll dig out my links to this stuff.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

Can you explain why you are such a

the mat for something stupid, he rarely responds.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd