Mouse protection - Ray O

Ray, I would like your opinion of what I have done (picture included). I stuffed half of a stainless scrubber (I show a whole one in the right corner) in the edge of the cowling (on both sides). Also, how hard is it to get at the drain tube and how long is it? I will use a piece of aluminum grounding wire (1/8" diameter) rather than a coat hanger that will rust.

I asked about the drain tube in the other post which got buried under the OT posts.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---
*************** Interesting approach to sealing the opening! The only thing I would be careful about is makeing sure the scrubber does not scratch the paint off of the hood support and allow it to rust. The hood support is impoprtant not only because it holds the back of the hood in place, the part that sticks out and fits in the hole in the fender keeps the hood from being pushed back into the passenger compartment in a crash. The hook stops the hood, and the notches in the bracing on the underside of the hood allow the hood to crumple instead of being pushed back. *********************** I asked about the drain tube in the other post which got buried under the OT posts.

*********************** Just in case you missed my response to your other post, here it is again:

If you root around under the passenger side of the dash and pull the carpet away from the footwell, you should be able to find a rubber tube going from the evaporator housing through the floor outside the car. You could pull the tube out of the floor, put a few kinks in the wire so it sticks inside the tube, then push the tube back through the hole in the floor. You want the kinks to impede the access of any rodents without blocking the flow of water down the tube.

good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. I will try it tomrrow (weather permitting).

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---
********* You're welcome and good luck!
Reply to
Ray O

One more question Ray. It's raining today so I might not get a chance to work on the tube. Isn't the carpet glued down? If so, what would be the best substance to use to re-glue it - silicone, liquid nails? To avoid pulling the whole carpet up, would the tube be towards the left, middle or right side?

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---
*********

The carpet it not glued down. It is formed to fit the contours of the floor. If you are pulling it up, pull towards the right side. The tube is probably about 6 inches or so from the right.

By the way, all this talk about mice must have jinxed me - I noticed one of our cats on the prowl and found that she was stalking a mouse! I haven't seen a mouse in the house for over 10 years, and today, one appeared. Fortunately, I was able to sweep it up before it disappeared, unfortunately, sweeping it into the dustpan did it in. I went to bury it in the back yard and found another dead one outside. Hopefully, that's all there were!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. When I first moved in to this house I had 4 mice get into my clothes drier through the exhaust tube. I could hear them inside the drier. When I removed the tube from the back they scurried out and disappeared. I eventually caught them all in traps. I then placed 1/4 inch hardware cloth over the drier vent outside.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

---MIKE---

****************

I guess I have to figure out how the mouse got in the house. The problem is, they can get through such small holes that finding the entry point will be tough.

Reply to
Ray O

The cats will take care of them.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

We have 3 cats, each has one of the 3 basic cat personalities (catalities?): sneaky hunter/stalker (black cat that looks like a Siamese), fat and lazy (Maine Coon), and scardy (calico). The sneaky one used to be able to catch any insect in the house by leaping off of the back of the couch or a table - kind of like watching Wild Kingdom.

They are all around 15 years old and have become slackers, the only thing they can catch now is our feet under the covers. The scardy cat was following the mouse but she didn't seem to be interested in engaging it so I had to bag it.

Reply to
Ray O

We also have three.

Two up in Mass where my wife is taking care of her aging parents and I have one here in Florida.

Mine is fat and lazy, but he has nailed two rodents. I was surprised, and pleased (I think)...

Mine was found on a road. Either he ran away or was dropped off. We tried to find his home, but were unsuccessful. He has a big scar on his face making my Air Force son call him 'Scar'. We named him Buddy and he sure is that.

All three have distinct personalities.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Aaah, so that's how you got away without AC!

Maybe I should have waited longer to see if she would have bagged the mouse, but I didn't want to risk letting it disappear, only to re-appear at the worst time, like when people are visiting.

Reply to
Ray O

Hell yes! The air goes on the MINUTE she returns to Florida...LOL

A buddy of mine said he would do the no air thing too....if it were not for his wife and kid.

...and it could have been a female and could have presented you with a whole house full.

I agree....if you see one and can get to it...GET IT...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Me too!

Reply to
Ray O

---MIKE---

ohho, a dryer vent will not work correctly if there is any back pressure. It's like the #1 problem that dryers have and could be a fire hazard.

If the drying time is ok then the vents ok.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.