Mouse living in air filter 2007 Altima. Is there a screen?

Today when I had the car serviced, the mechanic said there appeared to be a mouse (or possibly a chip monk) living in the air filter. He cleaned the assembly out and replaced the filter.

Over the winter, I keep the car in the garage so perhaps the critter found the engine warmth to be inviting. My thought would be to put some sort of screen over the intake at the grille to keep the varmints out.

Is there such a thing from Nissan or after-market or would I have to make one my self?

I will also set some traps in the garage.

Reply to
Kadaifi

I wonder how common this is; a few years back I found a completely dehydrated mouse in my Maxima air cleaner box, along with nesting and some acorns. I drive the car most every day, he must have packed it all in one night, poor guy.

Reply to
Jack Smith

I searched around the net and found nothing pre-fabricated. Also talked to the folks at Pep Boys and they said there isn't anything and I would have to make it myself.

I have some very course screen with about 3/8" square holes. That should keep out varmints and leaves. The wire is fairly stiff so I believe I will be able to cut a piece and bend it so it will fit over the opening(s)in the Front Air Duct.

Reply to
Kadaifi

FYI - if a mouse has moved in there, he or his descendants will be back unless your garage is 100% free of mice. If the air cleaner is closed off, they will nest somewhere else. I have a friend who spent a bundle rewiring his engine compartment after a mouse moved in while he had it stored a couple weeks.

Unless your garage is full of holes, you can get rid of them easily. Get a few of those little hav-a-hart traps, bait them with some peanut butter on a little piece of cardboard (for easy cleaning). Check them daily for at least a month. Release the mice at least 100' from your house. Once you don't catch any for a week or more, you are clean.

Reply to
me