Water in heater??

First let me say Hi All! it's been a long time since I visited!

My friend has a '97 Wrangler Sahara (I forget which _J). Today turned cold and rainy, he said he had so much steam inside the windshield he couldn't hardly drive to work. I vaguely remember conversations here about leaves clogging up the cowl vent drain and water getting into the heater unit. Could someone point me in the right direction for fixing that?

Thanks!

Seahag Annapolis, MD

Reply to
Seahag

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
1.) Your friend has a TJ. 2.) His trouble probably ISN'T water on the heater coils (which is not a heater coil at all), his trouble is high humidity on cold glass. The fix is to turn the A/C on.

The A/C is a very effective dehumidifier. If the A/C is switched on, the heater controls can still be set into the red zone to provide ample heat, if heat is really needed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
RoyJ

And if it's sweet smelling, it's radiator fluid. It's poisinous to drink, so prob. wouldn't want to be breathing it aereated. Nick

Reply to
Nick

If he has AC it comes on automatic with defrost.

If he has no AC, then he could have very wet carpets, that will fog windows better than 2 people in the back seat, parking. ;-)

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks Bill, I knew you'd have a link!

Seahag

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Seahag

No AC, and very wet carpets! You can see where muck dripped out of the floor vent. He's pulling the drain today, the hose is missing altogether. He parks under a tree at home; and after the rain quit yesterday we could see the cowl thingie was full of water up to the grate!

Seahag

"Mike Roma> If he has AC it comes on automatic with defrost.

Reply to
Seahag

First thing I would do in any CJ, YJ, TJ is pull the carpet, I hate carpet in cars, but in a jeep it's rediculus.

Reply to
Greg

The vent is all cleaned up and everything drying out! My friend found the hose and it had shpooze in it just as Bill thought. There was also a load of garbage and mud in the vent. He reckons that may also be what was affecting his heater's performance. Thanks for all the help!

Seahag

"Seahag" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag