What makes a transmission heat up

(previously posted in a.a.4x4.c-t)

I have a stock 2004 S10. I know that shifting in and out of overdrive too much is a bad thing, so when going uphill, or when travelling in hilly country you need to shift out of overdrive.

What is it exactly that is hard on the transmission? - selecting overdrive but not going in - the actual shifting from drive to overdrive - driving with the torque converter unlocked - none of the above

I've read numerous posts, but I haven't been able to put a finger on what exactly causes the overheating problems in a transmission or premature wear on the parts.

I guess my torque converter locks in both Overdrive and '3', is this correct? and if so is it relevant to driving in a way so as to protect the tranny?

Any help or a link to a source would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
JRK

JRK,

Heat in a transmission is caused primarily by two things:

1) Torque convertor slippage 2) Shifting gears.

For #1, the TC produces heat as a by-product when it is in replication mode (NOT locked), the more it's replicating torque, the more heat it creates. So, an AT will produce more heat in 4th gear, unlocked, than it will in 3rd gear, unlocked, becuase the engine RPMS's are higher in 3rd gear hence to engine is producing more torque that the TC doesn't have to "make."

Shifting gears causes hear as the frictions apply the selected gear. The longer the shift, the more heat is produced.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

. . . What makes a transmission heat up Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2004, 4:23pm (CDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@not.wanted.here (JRK) (previously posted in a.a.4x4.c-t) I have a stock 2004 S10. I know that shifting in and out of overdrive too much is a bad thing, so when going uphill, or when travelling in hilly country you need to shift out of overdrive. What is it exactly that is hard on the transmission? =A0=A0=A0=A0- selecting overdrive but not going in =A0=A0=A0=A0- the actual shifting from drive to overdrive =A0=A0=A0=A0- driving with the torque converter unlocked =A0=A0=A0=A0- none of the above I've read numerous posts, but I haven't been able to put a finger on what exactly causes the overheating problems in a transmission or premature wear on the parts.

I guess my torque converter locks in both Overdrive and '3', is this correct? and if so is it relevant to driving in a way so as to protect the tranny?

Any help or a link to a source would be appreciated. Thanks.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ATRA - Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association devoted to automatic transmission repair Address:

yer welcome,

marshmonster ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster