Smelly Transmission (Tundra)

My Tundra has less than six thousand miles and yet whenever the transmission has to work hard, (passing, going uphill, etc.) it smells as if it were an older truck in need of a transmission flush. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Braider

If you are saying the fluid smells when you check it, it needs changing, and with that low mileage, something is wrong. It sounds like you are saying it doesn't allways smell bad. That doesn't make sense. If the fluid is burnt, it will allways smell bad.

Reply to
Over40pirate

I'm indeed saying that it doesn't always smell bad. The odor only occurs when the truck is working hard. For example when passing, or climbing a hill and the truck downshifts. The rest of the time, there is no odor.

I don't think that it should be doing this with so few miles on it, and I'm curious if others have experienced this. Also, I'm eager to learn what the possible causes of this could be, so that when I contact a service department I have a range of diagnosis, one of which, hopefully will comport with thier's.

Many thanks,

Tom

Reply to
Tom Braider

sounds like the cat is whats smelling under a hard load

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Or the clutch!!!! not the tranny.

Reply to
Sam Marsh

You're absolutely right. I called the Toyota dealer and he stated that when the truck is working harder, the catalytic converter will produce a sulphur like odor. He said that the good news is that the cat system is working, and the bad news is that there is no way to eliminate the odor.

Many thanks,

Tom

--

Reply to
Tom Braider

try running better gas and down shift so u dont wrok the engine on a lug

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

A different brand of gas will cure the smell. The smell comes from stuff in the gas, not the catcon. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton