'02 Town & Country U-Joints

I have an '02 Town and Country van that I believe needs a front u-joint. Not sure which one yet, haven't got it in the air yet. Anyone know if these can be changed at home by someone who is fairly mecanically inclined?

NES

Reply to
NES

maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

The constant velocity joints in fwd drive shafts are just as much "universal joints" as the one in the steering column.

Reply to
Jack Idler

Reply to
mic canic

Yep - they are a certain type of universal joint. All constant velocity joints are universal joints, but not all universal joints are constant velocity. In the same way, the inner CV joint is a DOJ (double offset joint), but it also is a type of CV joint (DOJ is a type of CVJ, but not all CVJ's are DOJ's).

Reply to
Bill Putney

^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Why did you spoil your response by including the word "so"?

A joint or coupling used between shafts that aren't in line is "universal". The cross type (Cardan) is one type and is used commonly in rwd prop. shafts, and in some steering columns. You can't, however, say that the various types used in fwd drive shafts aren't universal joints themselves....they're just different.

Reply to
Jack Idler

Reply to
mic canic

Yeah, right, "loosely"...the same way Merriam-Webster define it:

universal joint (noun)...."a shaft coupling capable of transmitting rotation from one shaft to another not collinear with it"

Reply to
Jack Idler

So, do I cut the old boots off or loosen them and slide them over the old joints? Are there replacement boots I can buy?

NES

Reply to
NES

Reply to
mic canic

I believe the noise I'm hearing is coming from the steering, not the axels.

NES

Reply to
NES

Reply to