Opinion on AutoZone for Odyssey normal wear parts

I want to purchase new air filters (cabin and engine) plus wiper blades for my 2001 Odyssey. Can anyone say anything good or bad about buying these particular parts from AutoZone (they don't seem to have the cabin air filter

- is that Dealer only?)

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Be

I bought Purolator cabin air filters for my '00 Accord at either AutoZone or Advance, don't recall which, so I would bet you can get one (two?) for your Ody at one of those places too. You can for sure get the engine air filter from someone besides the dealer. I have a Purolator filter for my '01 Ody in the garage as we speak. It would probably work better if I installed it...

Wiper blades you can get pretty much anywhere, as long as you get the right length. The two front wipers on the Ody are different lengths, and I think the rear wiper is yet a third length, IIRC.

I don't know whether you've changed the cabin air filters before. I haven't done it with the Ody, but it was quite a job with the Accord.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You can get the cabin air filter from just about anywhere. Check for it mail order. Purolator makes one.

But, you'll replace it twice as often. It's a lesser filter. That being said, I went with Purolator. $30 from the dealer was too much. $11 for the Purolator is fine with me.

As for wiper blades, I've found for whatever reason that the Honda brand blades are far superior to anything else I've ever seen. I don't understand it, but it's true. And they're not expensive.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Same type of labor involved as with your 00 Accord.

Then there's VW, which seemed to do it right on at least one generation of Jetta: they put it under the hood, right at the top of the outside air inlet.

Sure, it filters only outside air coming in--but isn't that what you want? Why do you care about filtering the inside, recycled air?

VW has gotten millions of things wrong, but credit where it's due--they got that one right and Honda got it wrong.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Be wrote in news:BEBCCC8E.2B16A%n3wsr3ad3r_@_sbcglobal.net:

You may live to regret buying the the "Squeak 'n' Streak®" brand of wiper blades sold by AZ and other parts places.

If you do buy the AZ wiper blades, don't throw out the OEM blade holders. They're $30 each. Rubber refills for your OEM blade holders are $5 each at the dealer.

AZ air filters are probably OK, but make sure they fit properly and are made properly.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

And what proof do you have that it is a lesser filter other than blurting out statements you can't back with real facts?

Reply to
Woody

Um, when I did the research, I found several sources that all seemed to be in agreement that the filtering capability of the Purolator was not up to what the Honda brand filter had.

And then when I opened it up and compared the two, it was obvious.

But so what? It's something like a third the cost. So if I replace it every 15K miles instead of every 30K miles, I'm still fine.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I recall a commercial from a few yaers ago . It says simply: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery; it has no place on Your Honda. Take it for what its worth. Scott

Reply to
zonie

---------------------

Comparing cheap filters to good ones, sometimes there's half as much media in the cheap ones. The NAPA cabin filter was great. You'll need a hacksaw to change the cabin filter, if it's the first time it's been changed. You'll notice a great difference. Get the instructions from odyclub.com, or google.com.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

bosch wiper blades are better than anco. go to advance auto parts or checkers whatever they call it in your area for those. if fram makes a cabin filter u should look for thiers. it's probably equal to the dealer one if not better.

-jeff

Reply to
hondaman

I find that the rubber insert refills from my dealer for the Accord are cheaper than most of the aftermarket items and work better.

In general AutoZone's stuff is not better or worse than the other aftermarket chain stores. The thing is, check to find out if you are really getting a better price there than is available at an agressive dealer parts counter.

John

Reply to
John Horner