1/2 quart/liter down, 3L Voyager 1994 stalls, why so sensitive?

I've noticed something strange about my Voyager 1994 3L engine. After about 1000 miles, the car will start, sometimes to stall out repeatedly, going 20-30 mpg or slow speeds or whatever.

Out of desperation, I would put in about 1/2 quart of oil, and the problem disappeared.

This has happened on about 5 occasions so far.

Is the engine that sensitive? The dipstick is notorious for hard to read, even if letting it sit outside the engine for 1/2 hours and then put back in and the engine is cold.

I assume the engine oil is down slightly, 1/2 quart at most.

But why so sensitve?

Is this a sign of anything?

Reply to
Tree Line

maxpower

Thanks for the reply. But in 14,000 miles, car has around 190,000 miles, this happened about 5 times. And it happened when the oil would be about 1/2 quart down after 1000 miles. The car does not burn much oil or smoke, unlike a lot of 3.0 liter Mitsubishi's. A quart of oil on an engine with this many miles is pretty good, so far.

But it could be a coincidence or slightly connected. Is cleaning out the throttle body all that I would have to do? Spray some cleaner down it? Preferable to use the one from the dealer, dealer sells part#

4318001AB? Or do the whole thing with the taking it off and gaskets and AIS motor, for about $100?

Reply to
Tree Line

Reply to
maxpower

The Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 engine in your van is very sensitive to crankcase ventillation system condition. If the crankcase ventillation system is compromised (clogged or restricted hoses/passages/breathers/filters/valve, cracked, broken or leaky hoses/fittings) then low-speed misbehavior such as you describe can result. In that case, though the possibility is somewhat remote, adding a pint of oil could change the blowby characteristics just enough to make the difference between stalling and not stalling.

The suggestion others have given, to thoroughly clean the throttle body, is a good one. You should also carefully inspect your entire PCV system, cleaning, repairing or replacing components as necessary.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the detailed, helpful info.