Wiper System Noise...

I have a 94 Grand Caravan.

The problem I have is that there is a noise coming from the wiper system. I say "system" because at first I thought that the wipers had started squeeking - so I replaced the blades. No dice!

So I turned on the wipers and lifted them off the windshield by hand so they did not contact the windshield - noise still present! :(

This noise sounds like finger nails on a black board and is driving me nuts. Strange thing last night though, I was parked in a warm underground lot. When I drove out into the cold rain - no noise! Then about 15 minutes later the noise started to appear and within 30 minutes was right back to its ear peircing levels again. :(

I was thinking about taking the cover off to look at the mechanism that connects the wiper motor to the arm pivots, but I am not sure how you take the arms off of the pivots. Anyone know how this is done???

Any ideas as to what could be making the noise or what I should look for???

I saw a guy that posted for the same problem to this group back in

1998, but no one posted anything back to him, and he did not post back to say how the problem was resolved.

All thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated (especially since the monsoon season has set in here on the "wet" coast!)

Reply to
cloaked

It's in the bushings. You may be able to eliminate it by removing the wiper arm-and-blade assemblies, removing the cowl cover to get access to the wiper motor and link arms, and lubricating all pivot points with silicone grease (I use Sil-Glyde from Napa) or, as applicable to those that cannot be disassembled, silicone spray lube.

Look closely where the arm fits on the pivot. There's a small lever tab tucked along one side of the arm. Lift the wiper blade away from the windshield and use a small screwdriver to pry the small lever away from the arm; this will lock the blade in the "off glass" position and allow you to lift the arm assembly off the pivot.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
maxpower

Update...

Give the man a cigar (I think). ;)

I managed to get the wipers and cowel off, and I hit the bushings with some aerosol "white grease" from Canadian Tire (I suspect this is much the same as "lubriplate").

Unfortunately (?) there has not been much rain since! But so far so good.

I will update as the rainy season progresses.

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Cloaked

Lubriplate is a brand name -- the product line is enormous. White grease probably isn't what I'd pick, for it may well not last, but if it works for you, that's a good result.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well let's just say it is what I happened to have on the shelf at the time. ;)

If the white grease does not last, then I will invest in a good silicone lubricant as you originally suggested and try that.

I know we have NAPA parts stores in Canada, but do they carry Sil-Glyde up here??

Do you have any other recommendations for a quality brand readily available in Canada??

Thanks

Reply to
Cloaked