1989 Chrysler New Yorker Mark Cross Edition - leather roof

Hi,

I have a 1989 Chrysler New Yorker Mark Cross edition in very fine condition except for the roof. The old leather portion of the roof has faded and is peeling away.

What is the material directly under this leather (what the leather is glued to)?

Looking at it and feeling it, I'm guessing it might be fiberglass, but I'm not sure.

I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a new roof, so I thought I'd just sand it, prime and re-paint it myself. (Note: only the back third of the roof is covered in leather. The front two-thirds is regular hard top.)

So, before I start sanding this down, is it fiberglass or so other material?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Tuxster