My '89 Chrysler New Yorker looses power in hot weather

Hi group,

I was hoping someone could me help me with this problem.

I drive a 1989 Chrysler New Yorker that's in really, really good condition physical and mechnical condition for a car this old. I'm only the 3rd owner. The first owners were proverbial Sunday drivers, the second a mechanic who used it as a "loaner" car, and now me. So, suffice it to say, the car's been well taken care of. However, a problem has now cropped up.

Whenever it gets hot outside -- say upper 70s or hotter -- after riding for a while, be it city or highway driving, the car starts to suddenly loose power and then it totally dies. We have to pull over to the side of the road for an hour or two to let the engine cool off, before we can get back home. It doesn't do this everytime, just periodically. In other words, I can't predict when it's going to happen when we're on the road.

Has anyone ever heard of such a problem? What could be causing this?

Again, the car is in very good condition and has been well maintained. It's scary because this has happened on the highway, which I know is rather dangerous.

I appreciate any help or insight you're able to give.

Thanks,

Tux

(p.s., I've already had a new fuel filter and pump and other fuel- related stuff put in, so that waasn't the problem.)

(p.p.s., Oh, also, I wasn't running the A/C at the time of these engine cut-offs.)

Reply to
Tuxster

If it slowly looses power and dies as you say, your gonna have to do a fuel pump pressure test on it as the conditions to cause the problem are there. If you have the pressure tested when the problem is not occurring it will not show up and run you around in cycles if this is the problem. What about the check engine lite.....is it on ?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

[...]

Yes I read that, but you still have to perform a fuel pressure test to start. And if you replaced the pump with an aftermarket pump and not the OEM complete assembly you may have a connection problem at the pump. Normally when a vehicle looses power slowly and then dies it is related to fuel or exhaust restriction. If the vehicle just cuts off like a light switch I would look for something like a cam or crank sensor.And what about the check engine lite?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Next time it does it try removing the fuel cap and see if you get a big whoosh and then are able to restart. I have seen problems before where the evap system fails and the fuel pump ends up drawing a vacuum on the tank after running a while.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

If it's got a carburetor, it could be vapor lock. Check to see how the fuel line is routed through the engine compartment. If it runs anywhere near the exhaust manifold, or if it's tucked in tight to the block before it goes in to the carb, the fuel could be starting to boil in the line. Also, if the hood sits down tight over the carb/air filter, heat could be building up around the carb (I had an old Mustang with this problem). Next time it happens, try pulling off the air filter and wrapping some wet rags around the carb body.

Reply to
Ron Seiden