1996 T&C code 0135

The light is on again. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank1 sensor 1) Left O2 #1 heater

Reply to
Ed M

Just how are you getting this fault code? Have someone connect a good scan tool to this vehicle and then tell me what the code says, Not a P-code and do NOT retrieve the fault code by cycling the key on and off.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Glenn,

I used an el cheapo scan tool which I used to successfully diagnose other, similar problems. In the past, I have found that this scan tool agrees with the one I rented from Autozone. I don't know how this squares with your criteria for "good".

The information that Ed M provided, I already was able to determine. Does this information help?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
KWS

It's a 3.8

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Ok assuming this code you are getting on the ole cheapo scan tool is detecting the upstream o2 heater failure. You say the lite is on again and I don't have the original post or what was done before. A good scan tool will force run the 02 heater test and help in diagnosing the problem. The heater element helps the 02 reach a faster operating temp for better emissions. Disconnect the 02 sensor, key on and check for 12 volts at the DG/OR (pin#

2)wire of the 02 connector harness side. and key off check for a good ground at the 02 sensor harness side BK wire (pin #1) if that checks good, take your ohm meter, key off disconnect 02 sensor and check the element of the sensor for resistance. There should be between 4 and 20 ohms. Make sure you do the test on the upstream sensor and not the downstream sensor.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Got it. Thanks for the detailed information, Glenn.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Ken, you say it is on again. Did you do anything to fix it the last time? If this is the original 02 sensor you may as well replace it while doing the test. Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

maxpo

I replaced this sensor once before. I think it's been a couple of years at least. The code was different; it wasn't the heater. It seems the output voltage was simply out of spec. Probably because it was an original sensor and, at around 150K miles, gave up.

It seems like this was a bit too soon to have another problem with the same sensor. Could be the sensor, but your information regarding heater resistance is very useful as it could also be a poor connection.

One of the reasons I posted this is to fish around a bit to see if there is something else to be learned. For instance: a response of, "Oh yea...that's a typical indication you get when the xxxxxxx needs to be tightened" would make me feel less humble after changing out a perfectly good O2 sensor. Thanks for your help.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

You lost me here! But just because you put an 02 sensor on a few years ago does not mean that sensor is bad again.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Sorry. My point exactly.