1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager 4 speed Trans Problem?

Hello,

I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager (3.3 liter with 4 speed transmission) with 97,000 miles on it.

The problem I encountered today is as follows:

Driving home from a soccer game the transmission started acting up. The vehicle would not shift when put into drive (it was like it was in neutral). I reved the engine up and the transmission seemed to catch for a while but then acted like it was in neutral again when I placed it in Drive or L or 1 or 2. (Its parked in a store parking lot and I guess I will have one of the local transmission guys take a look at it)

There seemed to be a whining coming from under the hood and the transmission fluid seemed to smell (It was the normal red color with some dirty color mixed in when I cleaned off the dip stick).

I had the transmission fluid replaced once around 65,000 miles.

Anyone know wheather I will need to have the transmission replaced based on the symptoms described?

If so, would you recommend a rebuit one or a new one?

I would like to keep the Van for another 50 to 60 thousand miles if possible (2 or 3 more years before replacing it).

Any advice/comments?

Thanks In advance

Reply to
Curtis

Go here, required reading for any owner of these transmissions:

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

| > I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager (3.3 liter with 4 speed | > transmission) with 97,000 miles on it. | >

| | Go here, required reading for any owner of these transmissions: | |

| | Ted | |

Great write-ups!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

x-no-archive: yes

Before you throw in the towel, get it checked by a knowledgeable service outfit. We had a similar loss of drive in our 95 Stratus that was fixed with a new solenoid pack. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Meyer