1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager 4 speed Trans Problem?

Hello,
I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager (3.3 liter with 4 speed
transmission) with 97,000 miles on it.
The problem I encountered today is as follows:
Driving home from a soccer game the transmission started acting up.
The vehicle would not shift when put into drive (it was like it was in
neutral). I reved the engine up and the transmission seemed to catch
for a while but then acted like it was in neutral again when I placed
it in Drive or L or 1 or 2. (Its parked in a store parking lot and I
guess I will have one of the local transmission guys take a look at
it)
There seemed to be a whining coming from under the hood and the
transmission fluid seemed to smell (It was the normal red color with
some dirty color mixed in when I cleaned off the dip stick).
I had the transmission fluid replaced once around 65,000 miles.
Anyone know wheather I will need to have the transmission replaced
based on the symptoms described?
If so, would you recommend a rebuit one or a new one?
I would like to keep the Van for another 50 to 60 thousand miles if
possible (2 or 3 more years before replacing it).
Any advice/comments?
Thanks In advance
Reply to
Curtis

| > Hello, | > | > I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager (3.3 liter with 4 speed | > transmission) with 97,000 miles on it. | > | | Go here, required reading for any owner of these transmissions: | |
| | Ted | |
Great write-ups!
Reply to
James C. Reeves
x-no-archive: yes
Before you throw in the towel, get it checked by a knowledgeable service outfit. We had a similar loss of drive in our 95 Stratus that was fixed with a new solenoid pack. Good luck.
Bob
Reply to
Robert Meyer

Site Timeline Threads