1999 Concord

Hi, I have a 1999 Concord with 87k miles I have a strange problem. Every once in a while the whole electrical system goes dead. Acts as if there is no battery in the car. I took the car to Chrysler and the could not find a problem. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you for your time and trouble,

Irwin Opper snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Irwin Opper

A possibility: The positive jump node nuts can get slightly loose and intermitent on the stud - it happened on my '99 Concorde (BTW - with an "e" on the end) a couple of years ago. It's hard to spot because if you check the tightness of the nuts with a wrench, they will seem to be tight - but only because the threads are spot welded and galled from the arcing as they make and break the current. The way to really tell is to grab the cable terminals - one by one - and attempt to rotate them around the positive jump node stud. If you cannot rotate them with moderate effort, then this is probably not the problem, however, a loose or only slightly tight one will be easily turned by hand and will indeed be intermitent (and if you find that to be the problem, you will probably find the loose nut to have a smokey patina on it from the heat and arcing - mine did).

BTW - with the exception of the power to the alternator (generator, whatever) all electrical power for the entire vehicle goes thru that node - one cable from the battery, two cables out to vehicle loads.

If this isn't the problem (in which case, I will be disappointed after writing all of the above) 8^) , then suspect some other link in the electrical chain (battery posts connections, ignition switch, etc.). If you or someone you know is handy with a voltmeter/multimeter when the failure occurs, you/they should be able to pinpoint the exact point of failure in short order using logic and basic troubleshooting skills (and/or possibly you can induce the failure by wiggling some wires & connectors).

HTH.

Bill Putney

Do you have another car with one of those thick keys which is part of the security system. If the 2 keys are too close when starting the car it may confuse the car and stop it from starting according to my Toyota manual. Haven't checked my Chrysler manual to see if they have the same warning.

Reply to
Art

Thank you for your responses. I will check out the battery cables on Friday.

Thanks again. :-))

Reply to
Irwin Opper

Checked my cables and found one with a little play. Works fine now.

Reply to
Irwin Opper