2001 caravan no start

I have a 2001 caravan 3.3l in the shop at the moment that will crank but will not start. trouble codes are p0351, p0352, and p0353. all are active and relate to the ignition coil primary circuits. when checking at coil pack

4 way connector when disconnected I have ASD control when cranking but no pulse at primary circuit drivers. have checked drivers at pcm connectors and still no pulse. scoped cam and crank sensors which give good patterns and are in sync as verified with DRB scan tool. fused B+ and ASD control at PCM and both ground circuits for PCM check out ok. any thoughts guys ? cheers the rebelmc.
Reply to
newrebel

Assuming you have 12volts at the ASD relay output. Crank the engine for 5 seconds as you check the ignition coil driver circuit, the test lite should flicker, If the lite flickers while cranking but wont start, replace the coil.If it does not flicker measure the ignition coil driver circuit from the coil to the PCM. The resistance should be below 5.0 ohms. If it isn't, repair the wire. If it is below 5.0 ohms measure the resistance between the ground and the ignition coil driver circuit, If the resistance is below 100 ohms repair the coil driver circuit for a short to ground.If it isn't below

100ohms replace the PCM

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi Glenn. driver circuits check out ok and there is no short to ground. I have tried a new PCM as I came to the same opinion as yourself. did not mention it in the previous post as I was not wanting to influence any reply.

Reply to
newrebel

Were you cranking the engine when you were checking the coil driver circuit? You may want to go back and retest the system

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Yes Glenn it was during cranking that I tested it. it all points to the PCM not grounding the driver circuits but as I have replaced the PCM I am at a loss. I was wondering whether the car has some sort of immobiliser installed but as there is a good crank/cam signal and ASD control circuits I cannot see how it would operate.

Reply to
newrebel

nope!! and you are getting fault codes to point you in the direction of the problem

Reply to
maxpower

don't know if you gathered but I am in the UK and this car is US spec. is the PCM plug and play or is there some form of configuration required.? I have programmed the VIN but not sure of any other procedure. we have skim security in UK but this car does not have a skim module or at least DRB says not.

Reply to
newrebel

If you have a gray key it has skim. But still, if it had skim, the vehicle would start and shut off if the skim wasn't programmed.You have a no start problem. Did you install a new/reman PCM or swap out from another vehicle?

Reply to
maxpower

Black key , good point about the start and stall. the PCM is a new replacement from Chrysler.

Reply to
newrebel

Just had another thought. I wonder if the coil pack is bad and has damaged the new PCM to produce the same symptom.

Reply to
newrebel

You could have a bad reman PCM , they are purely junk, I have had so many "Reman" PCM's with problems after I installed them either causing another problem or the same problem I had before installing them. Chrysler has an after market company "claiming they rebuild these things" Like most of the aftermarket parts rebuilder they clean em up, paint em and ship em back out to the shelves

Reply to
maxpower