2001 LH Coolant Tank question - a revelation for me

Despite years weekly inspections under the hood, I noticed something about the coolant tank tonight that I'd never noticed before.

I always look at the end of the coolant tank to check the level - where it says "Cold Fill Max/Min ". I just realized that inside the tank, immediately to the left of the pressure cap, there is an internal vertical divider. And all of the tank that is on the right side of this divider - which comprises about 75% of volume of the tank - is empty !!!

What the heck is up with that ? What have I overlooked all these years ?

Phil

Reply to
Phil T

Phew ! Thank you Glenn.

How would coolant get into the outboard compartment after a recent service fill ? Is there an overflow weir or passage near the top on the inside ?

I also notice that molded into the top of the tank, there is mention of using a special Miller Tool for "proper fill". What's the deal with that ?

Thanks again....Phil

Reply to
Phil T

I think it's the tool to bleed air out of the cooling system where it gets trapped in the block/heads when you drain the coolant and refill.

Dan

Reply to
Dan