Mixing coolant.

The missus has just noticed (while I had the bonnet up, changing the front spring :-)) that the coolant level in her Volvo is nearer to the 'min' mark than it is to the 'max' mark. Not something I'd normally worry about, but now she wants to go and buy a big bottle of that purple collant for it. The thing is, I still have lots of the red stuff I got a couple of years ago for my old Fiesta. Can they be mixed? It seems a lot of money for another bottle of coolant that's probably going to sit on the shelf for the next ten years :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Is the coolant meant to be checked engine cold or hot? It will expand quite a lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is more than one type of coolant.

Recent Fords use an OATs organic acid system for anti-corrosion. I would suggest do your research first before adding the stuff you have on the shelf.

There is anecdotal evidence not all types mix.

Reply to
Fredxx

IOW, "not miscible in all proportions" to use the technical terminology. :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

These are certainly considered miscible, but react to form a sludge.

Just to be pedantic: miscible adjective (of liquids) forming a homogeneous mixture when added together.

As opposed to oil and water that are not miscible.

Reply to
Fredxx

Isn't miscible just a posh way of saying mixable?

Reply to
GB

They are miscible or mixscible (arrgh!) with water anyway.

The big divide is between the blue and the red coolants, only one kind should be used.

My impression is that the red coolant is the current issue for modern cars?

There is another type of posh coolant which is claimed totally permanent; that is assuming that your coolant system has no leaks.

A small leak + topping up is convenient way of renewing the coolant as the anti corrosive properties are time limited.

Reply to
johannes

Possibly, except mayonnaise is mixable yet not miscible. There are other thixotropic mixes out there too.

I feel I have donned a pedantic hat!

Reply to
Fredxx

thixotropic rust remover = Irishman with wire brush ...

(Sorry)

Reply to
Graham J

OAT style antifreeze is meant to last longer and is used by Ford and others. It can only be used where there are no copper alloys used. For that you need the old IAT.

A good article is here:

Which also points out there is no industry standard colour for the type of antifreeze. I will say I am not aware of any blue coloured OAT antifreeze.

You're probably thinking of Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)?

I often add a litre of concentrate every other year or so!

Reply to
Fredxx

Same here. Never top up with water or a water/antifreeze mixture.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Thanks for nice web link. As usual life is morre complicated than you think (or care about). It's like when you are thinking of doing something, then first study all the literature, consolidate all the information and mull over it for a couple of years...

Reply to
johannes

Not just me, then :-)

Reply to
newshound

Topping up with a litre every 2 years seems an awful lot- even in total. I check our vehicles regularly and doubt I put in 200ml a year, if that.

They are all modern 'sealed' systems with header tanks. The older style systems were prone to loss but I'm be surprised if one lost the equivalent of 500ml / year.

As an aside, I notice that some cars (Eg my Honda) had very long life coolant originally. However, if I recall the service schedule, even if you replaced it with Honda coolant, the replacement time for later changes was far less. Purely from memory- the original coolant was good for 5 years but replacement (even Honda's) only 2.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ford specify a 10 year antifreeze. (Up to 10 years)

Reply to
alan_m

TBA, the Honda may have been 10 years, I can't recall and I passed on the handbook with the car. I do recall that, even using Honda replacement, future changes were more frequent.

I suppose it is possible the original stuff could be supplied 'over the counter' for some reason.

Reply to
Brian Reay

colour of coolant varies around the world ... so beware if some webpage tells you to use red/green/blue ...

Reply to
bruce56