Mixing coolant.

The missus has just noticed (while I had the bonnet up, changing the front spring :-)) that the coolant level in her Volvo is nearer to the
'min' mark than it is to the 'max' mark. Not something I'd normally worry about, but now she wants to go and buy a big bottle of that purple collant for it. The thing is, I still have lots of the red stuff I got a couple of years ago for my old Fiesta. Can they be mixed? It seems a lot of money for another bottle of coolant that's probably going to sit on the shelf for the next ten years :-)

Is the coolant meant to be checked engine cold or hot? It will expand quite a lot.
--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

On 18/08/2018 16:16, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

There is more than one type of coolant.
Recent Fords use an OATs organic acid system for anti-corrosion. I would suggest do your research first before adding the stuff you have on the shelf.
There is anecdotal evidence not all types mix.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 17:15:40 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

IOW, "not miscible in all proportions" to use the technical terminology. :)
On 19/08/2018 17:53, Cursitor Doom wrote:

These are certainly considered miscible, but react to form a sludge. https://www.cgj.com/2013/05/20/what-are-the-different-types-of-antifreeze-and-can-i-mix-them/
Just to be pedantic: miscible adjective (of liquids) forming a homogeneous mixture when added together.
As opposed to oil and water that are not miscible.
On 19/08/2018 20:06, Fredxx wrote:

Isn't miscible just a posh way of saying mixable?
On 19/08/2018 21:15, GB wrote:

They are miscible or mixscible (arrgh!) with water anyway.
The big divide is between the blue and the red coolants, only one kind should be used.
My impression is that the red coolant is the current issue for modern cars?
There is another type of posh coolant which is claimed totally permanent; that is assuming that your coolant system has no leaks.
A small leak + topping up is convenient way of renewing the coolant as the anti corrosive properties are time limited.
On 19/08/2018 21:54, johannes wrote:

OAT style antifreeze is meant to last longer and is used by Ford and others. It can only be used where there are no copper alloys used. For that you need the old IAT.
A good article is here: https://www.granvilleoil.com/news?artID !
Which also points out there is no industry standard colour for the type of antifreeze. I will say I am not aware of any blue coloured OAT antifreeze.

You're probably thinking of Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)?

I often add a litre of concentrate every other year or so!
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:18:46 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

Same here. Never top up with water or a water/antifreeze mixture.
On 19/08/2018 23:00, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Topping up with a litre every 2 years seems an awful lot- even in total. I check our vehicles regularly and doubt I put in 200ml a year, if that.
They are all modern 'sealed' systems with header tanks. The older style systems were prone to loss but I'm be surprised if one lost the equivalent of 500ml / year.
As an aside, I notice that some cars (Eg my Honda) had very long life coolant originally. However, if I recall the service schedule, even if you replaced it with Honda coolant, the replacement time for later changes was far less. Purely from memory- the original coolant was good for 5 years but replacement (even Honda's) only 2.
--
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claiming-benefits/30/reporting-benefit-fraud
On 20/08/2018 20:06, Brian Reay wrote:

Ford specify a 10 year antifreeze. (Up to 10 years)
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 20/08/2018 20:56, alan_m wrote:

TBA, the Honda may have been 10 years, I can't recall and I passed on the handbook with the car. I do recall that, even using Honda replacement, future changes were more frequent.
I suppose it is possible the original stuff could be supplied 'over the counter' for some reason.
--
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claiming-benefits/30/reporting-benefit-fraud
On 19/08/2018 22:18, Fredxx wrote:

Thanks for nice web link. As usual life is morre complicated than you think (or care about). It's like when you are thinking of doing something, then first study all the literature, consolidate all the information and mull over it for a couple of years...
On 20/08/2018 06:14, johannes wrote:

Not just me, then :-)
On 19/08/2018 21:15, GB wrote:

Possibly, except mayonnaise is mixable yet not miscible. There are other thixotropic mixes out there too.
I feel I have donned a pedantic hat!
Fredxx wrote:

thixotropic rust remover = Irishman with wire brush ...
(Sorry)
--
Graham J