2003 grand caravan sport diagnostic trouble codes

113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove it 5 minutes, turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456 (friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply to
craig34

Ignore the P1684. Look for a small leak in the evap system.

Reply to
bllsht

Is that the code that could also mean the gas cap isn't tight?

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Reply to
philthy

I strongly suggest this instead: Assume it is a leaking gas cap. It may be that it wasn't screwed on tight. Or possibly a new gas cap is needed (or it was replaced with an aftermarket cap - and they don't always seal properly, in which case an OEM cap should be purchased and used).

Technically - yes - according to the book, that code indicates an evap system leak. HOWEVER - after hanging out on a couple of Chrysler forums for a few years, I can say that 9 times out of ten, when someone has posted with code P0456 (evap system leak), the problem has turned out to be the gas cap. Most of the time, it was a one-time occurrence (i.e., possibly someone didn't tighten it adequately - in which case, after resetting the code, it doesn't come back).

Before spending any money or other time on this, I suggest you make sure your gas cap is tight, reset the codes, then see if it recurs. If no recurrence, then fuggedaboutit. If it does recur, consider that you may simply need a new gas cap. Exhaust that path before assuming other more PITA problems - and chances are that's as far as you'll have to go.

No guarantees though - if you rule out the gas cap as the problem,

*then* look for other leaks in the evap system.

Bill Putney

Now can I reset the codes by just disconnecting the battery? I was thinking about doing that but its one of those things where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I do have an appointment with the garage tomorrw

Reply to
craig34

Check for a cracked vacuum hose at these 3 places. 1) check the hose that connects to the canister under the vehicle on the left side right behind the cradle 2) check the hose just under the throttle body 3) check the hose from the purge selonoid to the metal line (you should remove the air cleaner to properly inspect) Most of the time these rubber hoses crack. If the hoses look good go ahead and replace the gas cap.Erase codes. If after that the light comes back on don't waste anymore time and take into the garage. They will run a test that takes around 15 mins and you'll know if its mechanical or electrical.

Claude

Reply to
master tech
9 out of 10 times it is the hose coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment. right were the green cap is for the emission hose. You cannot miss it, as it is about 4 inches from the drier for the A/C. there are two sections of a "foam rubber" type hose on each side of the green cap that will have several cracks in it. Go to an autoparts store and get emissions hose from them "about one foot" replace it. That happened on my 2003, as well as my friends 03 T&C with the 3.8.
Reply to
holycow

Do the display codes display somewhere or do you have to do this through a garage? And do you erase codes by disconnecting the battery??

Reply to
snyk