2003 T&C passenger side exterior door lock missing?

Hey, I just bought a 2003 T&C LX a couple weeks ago, and I've become painfully aware that at least on my van, there is no exterior key
unlocks on the passenger side of the vehicle. I really don't want to carry the fob around all the time, as it is rather large and cumbersome. Is this a standard un-feature of the 2003 models, or was there some option I didn't see when picking out the van? Is this something that can be added by the dealer, or am I out of luck in getting a key unlock on the passenger side?
Also, this van has the power lift gate, and unfortunately it opens higher than the Windstar that got replaced, and whenever the lift gate opens up all the way while the vehicle is in the garage, it hits my opened garage door. Is there an adjustment that can be made to limit the vertical height of the lift gate, or should I just refrain from opening the gate while in the garage to keep things from hitting?
Thanks! Allen
it's called being cheap and deleting the key cylinders if you look you will notice they have been dropped on alot of d.c models! isn't german engineering wonderful????
Allen Evans wrote:

"mic canic" wrote:

Yeah - I've even noticed it on BMW's. Personally I prefer the lock cylinder only on the drivers door. It never has been needed on the others since auto door lock/unlock has become so popular.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RPhillips47) wrote in message

Except for those of us who carry car keys in our pockets, and don't like to have a bunch of keyless remotes filling up and burdening down the key chain. I have a keyless remote for the van, one for my car, and if I so chose, I could even be carrying one for my garage door opener. If I choose to carry a bunch of remotes on my key chain that's my choice, but I don't want to be forced to carry one just to unlock the passenger side of the vehicle from the outside.
Since the keyless remotes have been so popular, they've even gone away from the extenal keypad unlocks that were popular in the early 90's. Now, I'm forced to carry keys with me, rather than being able to lock them in the vehicle (hidden, of course) when I take my kids to the pool, or going hiking, or other activity where it's a bother to carry keys with me.
Allen
" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

Yeah, I used to be just as anal in my thinking. But then I thought about it and decided I really only needed the remote for the vehicle I primarily drove. The remote for the Jeep went on my keychain and only the key for the T&C (as, when the T&C is locked I can unlock all doors with the key in the drivers door without the remote). As the driver of the vehicle I have never been bothered by having to use the drivers door to unlock the vehicle. Now that I drive the T&C, that remote is on my keychain, the remote for the Jeep stays in the cupboard, along with the remote to the Pacifica (which is also the key). When I drive the Pacifica I carry the remote/key in my other pocket as i do have two of them.
and continued:

I seem to recall this only being popular on Ford products (on which they are still available). I don't recall Chrysler or GM using this method.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RPhillips47) wrote in message wrote:

Instead of having so many different remotes have your dealer program the vehicles to accept the same remote for all your Chryler toys.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RPhillips47) wrote in message

But my original question remains; is it possible to have the dealer install a lock on the passenger door for a reasonable cost, or am I SOL? I'd think that since many 2003 T&C's do have this lock, all the internal guts would be in there already; it'd just be a matter of getting a lock and new lock facia plate installed. Is it harder than this?
Allen
" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

My guess is you could do it yourself and save a large amount of money if you are up to it. A Haynes Repair Manual (and I am sure others) will detail how to remove the door panel and outside handle assembly. From your dealer parts department you have purchased anothe drivers door outside handle assembly complete and lock cylinder, which you have had set for your key. You follow the instructions in the Haynes (or other) manual for removal and replacement, but you will most likely have to remeove and rotate the lock cylinder so it lines up properly with the passenger side hardware. Of course, as the T&C was not built with the key lock cylinder you will have to do a little more investigating with your parts person to obtain the parts necessary to link the cylinder with the lock mechanism.
I should also say this is all supposition on my part based on logical thinking. As we all know, many times logic is not used in the design process of motor vehicles in whicn case you will have to talk with a body repair shop to see if this is possible.Good luck - and let us know what happens.
it will also require a new latch to boot
Allen Evans wrote:

you are right INTILL THE BATTERIES FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RPhillips47 wrote:

"mic canic snipped-for-privacy@cac.net" wrote:

in which case YOU USE THE KEY UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------05D2CE6CAADF00A0F1A0B668 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
well lets really think about that you have a key fob and the battery has lasted 2.5 years then dies, now lets say in that 2.5 years you used your key twice to unlock the door and that was 2 years ago so you stick your key in the lock cylinder and the key will not turn it,it's siezed and you are stuck in the pouring rain not able to enter your$ 30.000.00 vehicle! now do you get pissed off at those cheap bastards germans because they wanted to save 20 bucs building the vehicle and DID NOT PASS THE SAVINGS TO YOU
RPhillips47 wrote:

--------------05D2CE6CAADF00A0F1A0B668 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------05D2CE6CAADF00A0F1A0B668--
My neighbors Buick LeSabre is missing the passenger door lock cylinder too, so the good 'ole GM USA folks are apparently cheap too.
To be honest, I can't remember when I've ever used the key in the passenger lock on any of my cars...I usually unlock the driver door and use the power locks to unlock the other doors when ever that is required to let in a passenger.
<P>&gt;you are right INTILL THE BATTERIES FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <P>in which case YOU USE THE KEY UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
--------------992B303344C00D28809F960F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
my merc. grand marq. has them and a touch pad to boot
"James C. Reeves" wrote:

--------------992B303344C00D28809F960F--
"mic canic" wrote:

Yeah - like that would really happen???!!! BTW - we took deleivery of our '96 T&C LXi in April of '96. Have never replaced the batteries in either fob (and they still work perfectly, as has the key when i have used it. Why don't you try posting something of importance instead of being a foolish dolt all of the time?
it has happened and i have repaired a few for this issue and i bet you will still buy levis jeans
RPhillips47 wrote:

"mic canic" wrote:

Yeah - one of those complaints that has happened to so many people so it has been posted here so many times over the last few years
and continued:

Ummmm - on the evening of August 29 my wife and I paid cash-out-the-door (by way of personal check) for our new Pacifica AWD. I cannot remember the last time I bought a pair of "jeans", let alone Levis. Can you even afford Levis?
did you refinance your house to do so??????like i see some many do who come to the dealer to buy cars in cash! each time i get that urge i buy real estate it's much better than 401 k and doesn't lose 3 grand in value driving off the dealer lot . the pacifica is made out of the states meaning more Americans are losing jobs! while companys like Levi's move out of the country make more profits and avoid paying corporate taxes in this country and you and i have to anti up more taxes if it wasn't for low interest rates this country would be in a depression worse than the early 80's but you knew that since i suspect you are a enron type executive RPhillips47 wrote:

"mic canic" blathered:

you knew that since i suspect you are a enron type

You are wrong on both counts - didn't refinance the house and I am NOT an Enron-type executive. I don't even know why I bother posting responses to a buffoon such as you.
BTW, one only loses 3 grand on a new vehicle if said vehicle is kept for a short period of time. As I keep cars for at least seven years ('96 T&C LXI, '93 GC Laredo), that intitial loss in depreciation never hurts me - and if a vehicle has to be replaced it will be donated to charity.