3.5L Crankshaft Removal

The crankshaft in my 94 Intrepid needs to be removed because of a spun con rod bearing. Is it possible to remove the crank without removing the engine from the vehicle?

Reply to
crook999

maxpower

The rod will also be replaced. I was just wondering if the crank could be removed without removing the engine since the work is being done by a local garage and of course time is money. The mechanic says the engine does have to be removed but then again he said my Chrysler

4-speed auto needed Dexron and not ATF +3.
Reply to
crook999

And you are using him because?......

Reply to
Art

just because the book says one thing doesn't mean it has to be done that way, I have not had to replace one yet, but seems to me if it needs rods, I would have pulled the engine.

My opinion only

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I can't think of any way to remove the torque convertor drive plate from the crank without pulling the engine that isn't more trouble than pulling the engine. Pull the engine. For the amount of work that will likely have to be done (probably needs a new connecting rod and therefore a re-balance), its the only way to go.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
mic canic