How to remove crankshaft damper bolt?

I'm replacing the water pump on 1993 Escort 1.9L engine. I'm following the Haynes manual procedure. I'm to the point of needing to remove the crankshaft damper. The manual says to remove the flywheel/driveplate inspection cover to wedge a large screwdriver into the flywheel/driveplate ring gear teeth to keep the crankshaft from turning when you remove the damper bolt.

Where is the inspection cover? Is there another way to keep the crankshaft from turning to be able to remove the damper bolt? The car is manual transmission.

Thanks.

Reply to
BC

The easiest way is with an impact wrench. If you have no forementioned item put it in gear and set the parking brake. This will hold the crank to the clutch to the trans to the axle shafts to the wheels to the ground the old escort sits on :) Why do you have to remove the damper, is that ferd like a honda with the pump under the belt cover? hmmmm. please note: when replacing timing belt on hondas, replace water pump at same time.......or visy versy.......

Reply to
ShoeSaleman