5-20 oil

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:19:42 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote: I'll grant you that sludge can make

And if you go back to my original statement I did not specify only rotating components. I stated that switching to synthetic oil on a high mileage older vehicle could very well cause the engine to start leaking in many places where it had not leaked significantly before - particularly on a 3.0 Mitsubishi engine in a Chrysler.

I stand by that statement. The statement about sludge plugging galleries etc was in response to the engineer questioning the mechanical properties of sludge and varnish in regards to plugging leaks.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Of course I have... but I've never seen a cracked neoprene gasket or seal that was NOT LEAKING already. Simple crankcase pressure variations (going from slight vacuum under high PCV action to positive pressure under hard acceleration (no PCV + blow-by) is easily enough to overpower any hypthetical "film" covering a hypthetical crack in a gasket.

Not being a civil person, you likely haven't actually read anything I've written particularly thoroughly, either.

Reply to
Steve