$535 for contact points on starter?

The local dealer, Tuttle-Click in Tustin CA wants $535.00 to do this job on my '97 Grand Caravan 3.8 (Nippondenso starter). Does this amount look right? ..opinions?

Reply to
ixcom

sounds high to me we charge 3hrs=$225 +parts $20 $245.00 and I think thats high.

Reply to
TNKEV

If it is the solenoid contacts, the parts are $5 each (you need 2) plus 1 dollar shipping. If it is truly the starter, then visit the local auto parts place (Napa, etc.) and compare prices on "rebuilt" units. Even if you go to a third party service garage, knowing the retail price of the rebuilt part will be helpful.

The starter itself takes about an hour to remove and replace. Add 30 minutes to clean and replace the contacts if you go that route.

Good luck.

Bob

PS I will do the job for you for a lot less if I live anywhere near you... I would then just pocket the difference same as the dealer is going to do!

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I can't work on cars, but finding a fair deal (like the guy's above) sounds good ..lookin' for something in my area (Orange County, CA).

Reply to
ixcom

Looks mighty right if you're the service manager trying to make quota.

If you're even *considering* spending this amount on this job, please shoot yourself and raise the average IQ of humanity.

The procedure for doing it yourself has been covered here many times. The contacts are about $5/ea and there are two of them.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not sure about the 3.3, but on a lot of Nippondenso starters on Toyotas you didn't even have to remove the starter. Changing the contacts was often a 20 minute job

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No....shoot the dealer(just joking!!! ) instead for thievery.

Reply to
SRG

Very do-able in the car on a 3.3.

Then again, it's only two more bolts and it's out and on the bench.

I buy the plunger and contacts for $38, my out the door price is under $100. At $535 I hope the OP got a kiss along with his screwing. ;-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanx for the ideas, but as I said before, I can't work on cars. Just looking for someone to replace the contacts for less than $530.

Reply to
ixcom

Where are you located? You can likely buy me a round trip plane ticket and the tools to do the job, put me up in a motel for the night and still pay my hourly rate, plus pars, and still get some change.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce