'99 T&C 3.8L Starter Solenoid Contacts

My 1999 T&C with 57K miles is beginning to exhibit the infamous "click and delayed start" condition that is usually indicative of worn or corroded Nippondenso starter solenoid contacts. I've found a starter and alternator rebuild shop that is located about 40 miles away that claims they can sell me the contacts if I bring in the old ones to match up. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have the vehicle out of service fro two days and would prefer to have the contacts in hand when I pull the starter to be able to do the job in an hour or so.

I found the following web site picture that shows 4 different styles of Nippondenso starter solenoid contacts. (This was from a Toyota web site since it appears that they also use the same starter.) If you look carefully, you will see that the author labeled each of the copper contacts in the photo from left to right with an "A", "B", "C", and "D".

I'm hoping that someone here in the newsgroup has changed out the just contacts and can tell me which style I need for the 1999 3.9L Town & Country van. I'd also appreciate knowing if the same Nippondenso starter and contacts are used in other Chrysler starters since I may just pick up a spare set for my 3.5L 1996 Eagle Vision (LH body) as well. (Still on the original starter with 66K miles).

I'd like to go pick up the parts Wednesday, so a timely reply would be much appreciated! If I don't get any responses, I've considered getting the largest of the lot (the "D" style) and then just filing the sides down to match the ones I pull, but would prefer to just buy the right ones to begin with...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I have not seen any replies to my question and was planning to go pick up the replacement starter solenoid contacts today (80 miles round trip). Since the vehicle has been starting well this week, I'll delay picking these up for another day in the hopes that someone can identify which of the 4 styles of contacts that this Nippondenso starter utilizes. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Photo of the 4 styles is at:

Bob

Extra lines added here as filler to enable posting

Reply to
Bob Shuman

From my rotating-electrics builder:

"A" (my P/N 66-82756) is used on all the 2.2/2.5 Chryslers, 2.6 Mitsus, as well as the '87-'91 long-starter-motor 3.0 Mitsu V6 and '89-'91 long-starter-motor RWD applications. Two per.

One "A" and one "B" (my P/Ns 66-82756 and 66-82759) are used on transverse

3.3 and 3.8L V6s.

One "A" and one "C" (my P/Ns 66-82756 and 66-82761) are used on all other Chryslers - 2.4, 3.0, 3.2 and aluminum DOHC 3.5, 3.9/5.2/5.9 RWD, V10, you name it.

Of course, replacing only the contacts is half-assed. The plunger that makes contact across the contacts wears out at an equal rate as well - faster on the short-motor '91+ style than the earlier long-motor '87-'91 style - and needs to be replaced whenever contacts are changed out.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dan,

Thanks very much. This is exactly the information I was looking for here. I really appreciate you taking the time to look this up for me. I'll look into getting the plunger too from the rebuilder, but from what I've read on various sites, it sounds like the positive battery contactor usually takes most of the abuse here.

As background, I've found complete starter assemblies (rebuilt) starting at about US $100 and going upwards to $250. FYI, the local rebuilder wants $20 for the pair of contacts. This seems a bit steep to me given that they probably cost him under a buck for the pair, but given the difficulty in finding them, I am willing to pay the price.

I'll see if they carry the plunger too and what they want for it, but even if they don't have it, I'll still buy the two contacts and then remove and disassemble the starter to see how things look inside. I can always still decide to opt for the rebuilt starter and keep the contacts for future use. I would just prefer to be able to do the starter removal and re-install on the same morning to minimize the time that the vehicle is out of service.

Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Rebuilt ("remanufactured") rotating electrics from the parts stores are garbage.

Pay it and smile. The contacts and plunger are practically the only thing that wears out in these starters.

On the '62-'87 Chrysler-built gear reduction starter, the plunger contact could be removed from the plunger stalk, flipped over and reinstalled for a fresh contact surface.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dan,

I just wanted to post a follow up to let you know your information was absolutely correct regarding the 1999 3.8L T&C starter solenoid contacts (1 "A" 1"B").

I did the job this morning without too much trouble. (The most difficult part was realigning the starter and getting the metal gasket in place since there was not much room to work up there behind/above the motor mount.) The contacts were in pretty bad shape, especially the larger battery feed one. It had a "step" cut into it from the plunger contact ring. The plunger was in pretty decent shape, but everything was very dirty inside. I cleaned it all up with a wire brush, installed the new contacts, and also used some electrical contact cleaner on everything before reassembly. Everything seems to be working pretty well so I consider this a success (avoiding spending the difference from the full rebuilt starter price.)

Thanks again for the info. BTW, when I asked at the rebuilder for the copper ring for the plunger assembly, they told me that they don't replace them so did not carry the part. I guess this supports your statement that rebuild quality is spotty/poor.

My brother in law has a 1999 LHS (3.5L) that has similar symptoms, so I plan to pick up the contacts (1 "A" 1"C") for that vehicle and get it done in the next week or two as well. This will give me the chance to validate your info for that engine's starter as well!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well, truth to tell it wasn't exactly "my" info -- I saw your question and pestered my rotating-electrics guru!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

This is the last follow up to my original message. Just wanted to say that the info you provided on the solenoid contacts was also correct for the 1999 LHS with the Nippon-Denso starter. I did my brother in law's car this afternoon and it definitely took 1 of the A and 1 of the C type.

The starter on the 3.5L longitudinal was a PITA (compared to the 3.8L minivan I did a couple weeks back) since there was so little room to work on getting it out and back in. We eventually chose to use a screwdriver as a lever and a small hammer to gently coerce it into place.

Also, Dan, I had the guy selling replacement contacts for Toyota Nippon-Denso starters post your info on his site and add Chrysler to the search terms so others will be able to find it and buy replacement contacts for $10 plus $1 shipping. I received them 6 days after my order, but he also offers Overnight mail for a few bucks more.

Thanks again

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman