B9 Tribeca: The Edsel for a new Century?

Well, I test drove one yesterday. It handles OK. Still can use more leg room. (why can't the Japanese build a car for 6'4 people like me?) I still can't get over however just how butt ugly this car looks like! Subaru would be wise to scrap the whole front end design of this modern-day Edsel, and go with a front end design like that of the BMW X3 or the Porsche Cayenne. Now there's a Subaru that I'd like to see!

ps: Does anyone know if the B9-T made it to Click & Clack's

10 worst new car designs for 2005 on their weekly NPR show? I missed that episone and I now think it should have been selected as #3 or #4.
Reply to
Neoprene

I'm with you. "Edsel" was exactly _my_ thought when I saw it!

I have to add that I don't like the Cayenne nose, either.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The Tribeca's exterior design is tighter and more cohesive than the Lexus RX-330 and Acura MDX, which are hits. I think/hope the public will disagree with you on the Tribeca styling.

The dash design of the Tribeca is another matter. The curved dash array is gimmickee.

Reply to
lkreh

I thought the grill was more like an Alfa-Romeo than an Edsel.

Reply to
chipsoars

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Can you justify paying $30,000+ for a 5 passenger SUV?

Reply to
Nicolaas

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The Tribeca is technically 7 passengers (I know, I know, the back seat is tiny). Anyway, to answer your question, yes. If you're suggesting the Tribeca is excessively priced, you haven't looked around in a couple of years. Have you priced an '05 Outback with leather? Guess what? They're about $29,000.

Reply to
lkreh

My brother paid $29,500 for a loaded 8 passenger Pilot with dvd player and leather. If I was in the market for a large SUV, I think that I would consider a Pilot before a Tribeca.

Reply to
Nicolaas

I have to agree. I'm on my 2nd Subaru (a 99 SUS Ltd) and my parents just bought their 7th but I am seriously considering switching to a Pilot next time around. I'm looking for something a big bigger, with good mileage and a fair price tag. Pilot has the interior dash/driver's area nailed with the compartments and such which is critical for me since I spend a lot of time in the car for work....

I hate to leave Subaru after so many cars but for the price tag, it's just not stack>My brother paid $29,500 for a loaded 8 passenger Pilot with dvd player and >leather.

Reply to
ismlv

Some folks pay that for a custom ONE passenger, with ape hangers.

Reply to
B a r r y

Maybe the answer is here:

Dean Hoffman

Maybe the answer is here:

Dean Hoffman

I mostly agree with you. Saw 2 up close in CoSpgs and they are 'less objectionable' in person. Though still odd in the front (Saab meets Chrysler? I dunno) and the rear corners are a little odd. I might test drive one as my wife still misses her van. Might soon trade in my Avenger AND her Outback for a WRX wagon and a Tribeca (or Honda Odyssey). I dunno

Carl

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The worst angle of all is straight-on in the rear view mirror.

I had a B9 behind me Monday. When I spotted it, it was a case of "Oh, my God, what _IS_ that thing?"

Reply to
B a r r y

I stopped today to take another look at the Tribeca. It seems to look worse each time I see it. The whole exterior is just wrong especially that nose. I have seen other pictures of future models that will be borrowing from this new look and I figure that my 03 Forester will be my last Subie. I would put the Tribeca in the same class as the Ponitac Aztec. UGLY!

Reply to
Jerre Bassler

I have to agree with you. I haven't seen one in real life, but the pictures on the website show a really ugly vehicle. It seems they took all the ugly tendencies in styling and combined them into one really hideous hunk of car. Ugh!

June

especially

Ponitac

Reply to
JCZ

To me, the front looks like an Edsel and the back looks like a Hyundai Tuscon. Not exactly a high end combo.

Reply to
Nicolaas

The latest issue of "Business Week" adores it. Guess who's going to buy it! And I didn't know this; it was named after an upscale neighborhood in Manhatten. yikes!

Al

Reply to
Al

I'm afraid subaru is on its way out. 2004 was the last year of good cars. The outback is ruined- ugly with poor interior ergonomics. Now the terleta. I was hoping to be a subaru customer for life but I fear my 04 outback will be my last. I love it and I know I'll get great service from it but I just can't see myself buying a tribeka or the

2005 legacy/outback. They dont even make the baja in yellow anymore!!! Wake up Subaru!!!!
Reply to
jabario