88 Caravan 3.0 Engine Gallops

My 88 Caravan auto 3.0L has developed an unbalance. It felt like at least one cyclinder was not firing. So I replaced the rotor, the cap and all the high voltage wires.

The same symptom persists! The exhaust has a regular pulse to it (every revolution) and a strong smell of unburned fuel.

The symptom is not readily apparent until after 15 seconds of idling.

What could this be?

Reply to
gw-hisself

Maybe you replaced the spark plugs butjust forgot to list them?

Bill Putney

Whoops! I did check the spark plugs but forgot to list that. I was hoping to find a fouled plug,

I had three brand new plugs around so I replaced the back 3. I checked and regapped all old ones to .040 (they were all .048). All six were the right light brown color with no oil fouling, no soot, no deposits.

The back middle one did have a faint smell of gas, but that was before I replaced the cables.

I will next make sure there is a spark at each plug. Not sure how I will get back there for the back 3 - will have to check at the distributor.

-gw

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
gw-hisself

Reply to
David Allen

Oops, I had replaced the spark plugs in addition to the HV wires and cap and rotor but I forgot to mention that first time around.

Well, I went to check the spark at the distributor to each cylinder and they are all getting a nice fat 3/4" long spark. This was in a dark garage and I would have seen or heard other places it could be leaking - but this is a new wire set anyway so not likely.

Anyway when I started the procedure it to check the spark it ran fine, with no gallop at idle! So, either

a) there was a sticky valve that got unstuck again b) One of the old front plugs I re-used decided to unshort itself (assuming it was shorted) - but I had just checked, filed and gapped it the other day!

Question: Is there some additive I can use to unstick sticky valves? At this point I don't know which cyclinder it was. I know there is a bewildering assortment of miracle cures on the shelves but which can be recommended?

-gw

snipped-for-privacy@gw>

Reply to
gw-hisself

It has likely either worn out or dropped a valve guide. Makes a valve not close ptoperly - and the engine misses. Do a compression test. Common problem on 3.0 MitsuShitty engines. My '88 New Yorker is on it's third set of heads.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce