89 GCaravan 3.0 sputters and stalls

Usually the van runs fine until I come to a stop. When trying to accelerate, the sputtering and some whitish blue smoke from tailpipe will occur. If I continue to give the van gas it will stall. If I lift, the engine will recover most times. This problem has been progressive starting with a small hesitation to the un-drivable state that it is in now.

I've been able to get a code using a scan tool. The scanner indicates 'Injector 3 bank high resistance'.

Is this a physical injector problem ( where I should replace the injector) or is this a different sort of problem?

I know how in depth it is to replace the injectors, but could I get away replacing just the indicated faulty one or do I have to replace all?

Thank you for your time all!

Reply to
Ric

What fault code # do you get? I can't find 'Injector 3 bank high resistance' in the list of fault codes in my diagnostic book. You can also pull codes without a scan tool by switching the ignition off and on 3 times (on-off-on-off-on) and watching the Check Engine lamp flash the codes.

The problem may not be the actual injectors. The fault codes related to the injectors have more to do with the voltage associated with the injectors. This means there could be corrosion in the connector or a short in the wiring or a bad computer.

Notwithstanding, the injectors may indeed be in bad shape given the age of your van. Last year, I removed all of my injectors (I had a fault code 26) and had them refurbed at Napa's. They're quite expensive to buy new (around $80/each if I remember right), whereas taking them in tjo be refurbed was around $100 for all 6.

My encounter with code 26 did not come with your smoke and sputtering problems though. So the best thing to do to get started is get the fault code #.

Reply to
David Allen