'93 Grand Voyager knocking

I have a '93 Grand Voyager with about 146k miles on it. It's developed a terrible loud engine knock that is progressing. When it started months ago, it was only when the engine got to normal temp but now it's from the time you start it up and getting louder all the time. It sounds like a diesel going down the road. Could it be a rod or maybe an oil pump? It still runs great smooth with no loss of power.

Thanks, syd

Reply to
mustangsyd

I'm no mechanic but I had the same problem and it turned out to be a lifter hanging up. The mechanic had to loosen it up, take it out and put a new one in. You may want to try a high detergent additive that treats sticky lifters first. I put a bottle of CD-2 in at every oil change.

Reply to
ron

I'm no mechanic but I had the same problem and it turned out to be a lifter hanging up. The mechanic had to loosen it up, take it out and put a new one in. You may want to try a high detergent additive that treats sticky lifters first. I put a bottle of CD-2 in at every oil change.

Reply to
ron

That sounds like an easy fix! Did it continue to get louder with time?

r> > I have a '93 Grand Voyager with about 146k miles on it. It's developed

Reply to
Syd

Assuming you change oil at reasonable intervals and use a good quality oil, and assuming your engine isn't a "sludge monster," I think you're overreacting by using CD-2 that much. The detergency in modern oils is high enough to not need CD-2, like you did in the old MS days. However, CD-2 can do things like unstick varnished lifters and stuck rings in extreme cases.

My father-in-law's a big talker, little doer (typical corporate manager type) and let his Mazda pickup go 20K between oil changes, with the result being the same thing...a stuck hydraulic cam follower that was rapping like mad. I excoriated him for being so lax on maintenance, changed the oil and filter (the filter shell weighed a TON!) and added a bottle of CD-2. The follower shut up after about a week, but the sludge and varnish inside the engine was left pretty much intact. I told him he needed to drop the pan and clean up the valve train, and he ignored the advice. Predictably, he blew it up with a plugged oil screen about six months later.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

heads up, people- this "desertbob" is the same guy that actually drives a 1978 Honda- he doesn't even know his wrench sizes- the LAST thing you want to do, is follow or read his tech advice- he just got done completely disassembling a 318 motor, when all it needed was a thermostat

Reply to
duty-honor-country