94 2.5L stick shift, dumb question

This might be a very dumb question, but...
Today, when I was checking the oil in my 94 Caravan 2.5 stick shift, I noticed an open slot, about 2-3 inches x 1/2 inch, in the top
of the transmission/clutch area. You can see through the slot, into the clutch area-- big gear, etc.---and I never noticed that before.
Is this normal? Or did it used to have some kind of cover or seal on that slot? There's a bit of a puddle of something on top of another component, lower than the slot and closer to the firewall, and I'm wondering if that might be transmission fluid spewing from the slot???