94 Plymouth Voyager minivan = power steering problem

Recently, I drove my old 94 Voyager minivan into a deep puddle of water which was on the right side of the van i.e. only the right side/tires of the van went into the puddle. As the minivan emerged from the puddle, the "check gages" lite went on, and after a few seconds, the power steering completely failed. Luckily, I am six feet and quite strong enough to turn the steering wheel without the power steering. However, driving the $%$#@ van now is scary. Any help on what I can do to fix the problem? Please email me at nnayar"at"ptd.net (please replace the "at" with the @ sign, or post in this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
N. Nayar

Yea, your belt fell off, check for proper alignment of the belt tensioner and if it is seized or crooked replace both the belt and tensioner. The belt drives the alternator and water pump, if you continue to drive it... it will overheat

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn - You called it! The belt was totally off!!! When I reached in to try and wiggle it back, it came out in my hands. Now,... what do I do? Is there anything I can do to put it back on? Or does it need professional help? How difficult is it to put it back on? Many thanks.

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
N. Nayar

Forgot to add that it is the 3.3L engine Thanks

"N. Nayar" wrote:

Reply to
N. Nayar

If you are not familiar with the set up, I would have someone else put it back on for you that knows the system, that way they can see if it is in proper alignment, otherwise it will fall off again

Reply to
maxpower