Recovered Stolen '98 TJ with Clutch Problems

I'll start with the technical problem... but the story is too much to pass up.

I drive a '98 TJ Sahara that I bought brand new and have now racked up

112,000 miles. I know that the clutch wears out and have heard some stories of these babies lasting 125k, but I planned to get mine serviced this winter anyways.

Now the clutch is shot, but it didn't happen while I was driving... you'll need to read the whole post to know when that happened. When I depress my clutch, I feel very little resistance and will not release. Even to truly diagnose the problem, I'll need to remove the transmission. When I depress the clutch there is no resistance. The clutch will not release, I can't change gears. I can start in 1st gear and move that way, but that's obviously rather awkward, especially in a city where one needs to stop every few blocks. I am a smart and handy guy and have made some minor repairs on my Jeep before, such as replacing the radiator, windshield wiper motor and linkage, etc... But the clutch is a big job.

So for now I'm driving a rental Mitsubishi Lancer (ARGH!) Anyone want to help? Any suggestions of a mechanic that will help? I don't have a tranny jack, apropriate tools, nothing. But if there's somebody in the city who wants to help, I'm eager to learn, and already know essentially what is entailed in a clutch overhaul. My theory is the clutch throw-out bearing came loose from the fork and just started falling straight through. I read another post with identical symptoms and photos of the fork. I'll pay for the parts and provide beer and good conversation and help, I just don't know enough Jeep people in Chicago to help me out with this caliber project. What's worse, I don't even have a garage! I'm hoping this ordeal will help me make some good Jeep friends in the city to work with and off-road with for years to come.

Now for the back story... the Jeep was stolen last week, on Dec 29th. I had done something stupid... the ignition key cylinder is, let's just say, a tad worn... so I can slide the key out while the engine is running. This allows me to lock the doors and run into the house for quick things and then come back out without putting undue wear on the ignition system. So one night I did just that, ran into a friend's house to drop off some things, 10 minutes later I came back to a missing Jeep. I was beside myself with anger with myself, with the thieves, with the City of Chicago and their inept system... but mostly with myself as leaving the car running in Chicago was inviting this. Oh by the way, I live in the city of Chicago... I KNOW THIS WAS STUPID.

So, the thieves headed their way to the west side with my Milo and I'm sure it was destined to a garage where the wheels would be taken and or at the least it was to be dumped in an out of the way area... *SHAZAM* but the clutch release evidently stopped working about 3 miles into their trip... 3500 W Madison Ave. For those who don't know Chicago, this is a very busy road, and a fairly obviously place to be caught with a stolen vehicle. They stole the stereo and left the car on the side of the road, unable to get the car into gear or turn the engine off, I can only imagine they were in a hurry to get away from a stolen vehicle and I WISH I had seen the look on their face. When I checked the impound lot on Jan 2nd for my plates, they had my Jeep. I feared the worst, but found it in near new condition minus the stereo (of course) and the bad clutch... a roach in the ashtray and a smell that defies explanation. It's since been towed to my parking lot while I try to diagnose the problem.

Thanks for reading, hoping for the best!

- Andy

Reply to
'98 TJ Milo O]]]]]]]O

There is a plastic clip on the clutch linkage at the top of the pedal that can break giving your symptoms, I think...

Mike

Mike Romain

In addition, the snap ring in the end of the master cylinder that holds the push rod in could have popped out (Been there, drove out of the woods and home with no clutch once). '98 has an external slave cylinder as well. I'd check both the master and slave cylinder areas before thinking about dropping the transmission. Jeff

Mike Roma> There is a plastic clip on the clutch linkage at the top of the pedal

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
Will Honea

Hard to say, but it does sound like what happened to me in AZ. That stupid plastic clip broke and we put a couple of zip ties on it. I am still running on those zip ties.

Check and make sure that the pedal is still correctly attached. Then if it is, start checking the other things mentioned in the thread.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Undue wear? WTF is that lame excuse? Talk about being penny wise and pound foolish!

Still, good to hear you got your Jeep back. When they stole my XJ it was found a mere mile away with an empty tank. I knew full well the night before my FIRST stop was going to be the gas station... a HALF MILE away. I kept driving the Heep for another 6 years with that busted ignition. Funniest thing was two months later (iirc) the cops called me and said they found my XJ. Now, this came as a bit of a surprise as I already had it back. I asked the cop on the phone where this was and the street reported was right in front of the office! I hauled ass out there and let them know it had already BEEN recovered. I had no desire to repeat the impound lot experience, again. Looking back they probably ran the tags because it looked like a piece of shit and was parked in a 'nice' neighborhood. Still, at least they gave me the courtesy of a call before impounding. Wish they'd done that THE FIRST TIME.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I know that's more or less a lame and contrived excuse. I did say in all caps that I know this is stupid!

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm going to look into the plastic clip on the pedal tonight, if that's all there is wrong it'd be brilliant! I'm certain that whatever did break saved my wheels from being stripped, so in the long run even a complete clutch overhaul is cheaper than a new set of tires and wheels. Oddly they took the spare tire key from the center console but not the spare tire. These guys were either in a hurry or stupid or both.

BTW, the slave cylinder is full, that was the first thing I checked, too. The reason I suspect the fork or the bearing is because this jeep originally lived with me in Wisconsin and has been through some wet and muddy places. I'm not hard on my clutch by any means, and this is a clutch release issue, not a slipping issue. I suppose of that plastic clip was weak and these guys stomped on the pedal hard, that could have been the final blow.

Will keep you all updated. The rental Lancer is really making me miss the Jeep.

- Andy

penny wise and pound

Reply to
'98 TJ Milo O]]]]]]]O

Just when you think you've seen it all, something new will come up. I had just replaced the master/slave on mine when the pedal suddenly went to the floor in a parking lot about 10 miles from home. I couldn't see the problem but drove it home sans clutch (fun exercise!). Once I started looking, I finally spotted the problem: the arm between the push rod and the pivot shaft had busted a weld and fallen clean off the pivot shaft! Taking the entire pedal hanger assembly out to re-weld is is no fun at all.

Reply to
Will Honea

Let me correct myself... the clutch MASTER cylinder was full. The slave cylinder is evidently attached to the tranny and I'm in way over my head.

I took it to a mechanic today, he's reputable, I've dealt with him before. He agrees it's likely a hydraulic problem but can't look at it until tomorrow, his lot was full, he's busy. Let's hope that also will make him fast. He quoted me 4 hours labor on a clutch replacement, which is amazing.

Are the stock clutch slave cylinders on the TJ's known for being weak? I've read a lot of people having issues with them. Also, if the slave cylinder was leaky, wouldn't that show up in the master cylinder level?

Also the lack of resistance may have been a red herring. There never was a lot of "resistance" when pressing the clutch to the floor, and it still returns to normal position just as usual. The only thing that isn't working is the damn clutch isn't releasing so I can't shift while the engine is running. There was a very unusual smell in the car when I got it back, but I thought it was either cheap ethnic hair care products or some unfamiliar smokeable product being used while they were joy-riding. Regardless, the smell was foreign to me... the mechanic said it may have been hydraulic fluid. It may also be that the thieves used hydraulic fluid in their hair... but I digress... It smelled kinda plasticky I guess. I'm not good at describing such things.

Well now it's all in the hands of my trusty mechanic, I'll keep you all updated, I'm sure you're waiting with baited breath to hear how my adventures fair.

- Andy

'98 TJ Milo O]]]]]]]O wrote:

penny wise and pound

Reply to
'98 TJ Milo O]]]]]]]O

I hope you trust him....

The pedal is spring loaded so it comes back up by itself. If that plastic clip is busted that connects it to the master...

If the slave is toast, the master 'will' be down in fluid normally.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Let me correct myself... the clutch MASTER cylinder was full. The

penny wise and pound

Reply to
Mike Romain