'96 6-cyl. Stratus starting problem

Over the last few months our 1996 V-6 Stratus ES has occasionally been difficult to start after standing for an hour or two (but never after standing overnight, IIRC). The engine cranks over at full speed, but it does not "catch." After leaving it alone for a while, however, it will then start straight away, with no sign of ignition or fuel-supply problems.

Where do we start looking for the problem?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

philthy

Since the "Check Engine" light is not on, I assumed that there would be no fault codes. Was my assumption incorrect?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If the fuel injectors are leaking it would flood the engine and make it hard to start. Sitting over night would allow enough time for the excess fuel to dissipate. If this is the case, you can check the exhaust pipe for raw fuel smell. If you smell raw fuel, then use the starting procedure for a flooded engine (hold throttle to floor while cranking).

Reply to
Gyzmologist

"Percival P. Cassidy" schreef in bericht news:HJCfi.24$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.lga...

This is only a suggestion but I had the same problem with my Porsche 924 8 years ago. After a long search I found out it was the ignition coil under the highvoltage distributor (that thing were the sparkplugcables come together) I took it out the vehicle and measured the resistant. When I make it hot with a hairdryer I saw the resistant changed to 0. After a while, when the coil cooled down, the resistant came back. I replaced the coil and I had never problems again. It is possible that your Stratus have the same problem.

I hope you understand my bad English, Hennie.

Reply to
Hennie