1997 Camry 4 Cyl - Cold Starting Problem

Howdy All

Need a little help on tracking down this problem

Battery terminals have been cleaned and the connections are tight. Voltage of battery seems ok checked with a voltmeter. Water levels are ok.

Condition: At cold startup, either in the mornings or after several hours being off while at work - turn switch first time and no response. no sound. no interior light. nothing in the dash panel display.

Second turn - maybe no response or click,click,click, with a few second wait until actually starting but not whirr,whirr,whirr like a weak battery.

Third turn - starts right up.

Several weeks ago had a problem for a few days with having to move the steering wheel back and forth befor the ignition key could be turned to make the car start. Don't know if its related.

What is the most likely culprit?

Should I be prepared to leave the car with the mechanic a day or so?

Any help is appreciated.

Stanley P. Pickens

Reply to
Stanley P. Pickens

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Odd you should mention this, Stanley, because the same thing happened recently to our 1997 Camry. My wife uses it largely, and so I was never around when this happened, but she tells me that turning the key to start the engine was useless, as if there were no battery...no slow starter motor..just silence. She'd turn the key several times and suddenly the starter would engage and the car would start normally. She tells me that this situation happened between 6 and 12 times over the past few weeks, but the car always started...finally. But now, the situation has "gone away" and the car always starts normally. I thought it sounded like an improper contact at the starter solenoid, but I would be hardpressed to even FIND the solenoid. Anyway, perhaps if you just keep at it, your problem will eventually go away too! Good luck. (oh, BTW, you mention "cold starting problem" ....our problem happened whether the engine was cold or had just been driven and was at operating temperature.)

Reply to
mack

I had a new starter put in my 97 Camry after experiencing similar symptoms about 2 years ago. The frustrating thing was that when I would take it to the mechanic, he would say it was just fine. Started up real good for him, even kept it overnight....trouble was it was parked in his nice warm service bay, so the car didn't get nice and cold like it should've. Finally the stupid starter just croaked and I was towed to the garage. New starter is rebuilt genuine Toyota and performs real well.

Reply to
<psommerhalder

I have a similar problem with my Corolla a number of years ago. It happened intermittently. The problem wss the starter solenoid. Once it was replaced, the problem disappeared.

Reply to
aiuser

same problem on my 97 corolla. would do it every now and then. sometimes it would turn over slowly. thought it was the battery so replaced it. was ok for a week or two then started it again.finally just had a new started put on. been 3 months now and no problems. toyota dealer wanted

450.00 for a new starter parts and labor. had it done at a garage with a good reputation for $205.00 mine always did it after it had been sitting overnight. you could try it 20 times when warm and would do fine each time. guess they just start wearing out after almost 10 years.
Reply to
Dave Dave

The Nippon denso starter-motor is a very good unit generally. If you have a voltmeter, the best way to diagnose that type of fault, is to measure the volts at the starter solenoid while an assistant turns the key. If the meter indicates 10 or more volts, the trouble is the solenoid within the starter. The solenoid is just a powerful electro-mechanical switch, which can stick. If there are no volts, then the fault lies in the circuitry back towards the key.

The wire which applies volts to the solenoid is the lighter gauge or smaller diameter connection at the starter.

My '96 did a similar thing, except I could hear a soft "thunk" noise. That turned out to be worn starter-motor-activate contacts in the solenoid itself. They had worn away. Replacing them was a relatively simple procedure if you had a basic tool kit.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Most likely it's the starter. On my wifes' 97 Camry the same thing was happening. I checked the terminals, replaced the connectors, etc.It twould come and go. So after fooling around with it for about a year I listened to my mother in law who said "It's the starter" and got the starter rebuilt. Cost about $125 at a local guy who does only starters and alternators.

Reply to
cmuller

Glad to hear I'm not alone, damn starter was torture in it's methodical refusal to behave badly for mechanics. And the mechanics, of course, were paranoid about replacing the unit when it could've been something else. Could've saved some grief by just going in and saying....just replace the starter, I don't care about your diagnosis, just do it. Thanks group.

Reply to
<psommerhalder