96 GRAND CARAVAN: ABS QUESTION

In the last week or so I have noticed that the front brakes get pretty hot while driving in town but not so bad on the highway. When I stop and then go to start off again it feels as though the front brakes are not releasing immediately when I remove my foot from the brake peddle. I am wondering if the ABS brake module may have something to do with this. I thought I had a bad calliper on the front and replaced it but that didn't resolve the problem. Has anyone had trouble with their ABS that sounds something like this problem?

Regards Bill

Reply to
William Falconer

Overheating brakes is a chronic problem with these vans. I've never heard of the ABS system being the culprit. The brakes are underdesigned for the size/weight of this van. It's made worse if you drive a lot of stop and go, drive in hilly areas, the rear brakes aren't adjusted properly and/or one's driving habits are hard on brakes, e.g., fast, last second stops. Also, the piston on the calipers is made of a composite non-metal material. This is not a good thing. When they overheat, they tend to stick.

I'm helping a friend ('99 G. Caravan) this weekend who's brakes overheated so much they caused the bearings to fail. We're replacing the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, the pads, the calipers (probably do a rebuild if we can find metal pistons).

Reply to
David Allen

Thanks for the input Len. I was asking around today and got the same response from another person so I'm hoping that is it. I was told that one way to test to see if the line is collapsed is to open the bleed c*ck on the calliper and then take the top off the brake fluid reservoir. Fluid should seep out the bleed nut on the calliper, if not she's plugged. I'll give this a try and let you know the outcome.

Regards Bill

Reply to
William Falconer