96 Dodge Caravan front brakes

I'm replacing the front brakes; cannot get calibars back on.

Reply to
Erv2

Well, that sucks.

Reply to
Dan C

did you squeeze the pistons back in ?

Reply to
robs440

They are called Calipers, and you can squeeze in the piston cup with a simple 6" C-clamp, using one of the old brake shoes as a protector against the piston cup. Another problem could be when you are trying to reinstall the Calipers you are not pushing back the Guide Pin Bushings far enough to allow installation, (these are the thingys that the bolts were in when you removed the cali-bars, or these Guide Pin Bushings could be frozen (stuck) in one position.-J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com

Thanks. Actually Erv2 is a 'woman'--sorry guys. Was researching the problem on the internet and just came across this site. Short of buying a new Chiltons, I thought someone may have run into the same problem. I know its a simple little fix, but its the first time I've done brakes on the front on the Caravan. They were really tore up and its been a struggle.

Reply to
Erv2

I like the fact that you have the balls to try this job with no experience, but for safety sake you should invest $14. in a HAYNES manual specific to the vehicle and study the brake section or have someone inspect the job when you are finished.-J

Reply to
Wrench007 via CarKB.com