96 LHS evaporator (what type?)

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 96 LHS from a private owner. The AC doesn't work (known before purchase) and a check points to an evaporator leak. A little research indicates that there was a known evaporator issue and Chrysler had a little known warranty thing for this problem, but the guy that owned the car before didn't know about it and thus the car was past the age/milage limit when I purchased. Anyhoo, I have a mechanic friend that will do the replacement for me. When I went to the auto parts stores, they inform me there are two types of evaporators listed in their database for the 96 LHS, a fin type and a serpentine type. Since it will take about a week to get the evaporator (store needs to order it), and as I understand, changing the evaporator is quite a bit of work (remove dash, etc.), I wish to inquire if anyone can inform me as to which type I would need (fin or serpentine).

Also, the LHS didn't have the owner's manual, so I'd be grateful if anyone knows or has a link regarding the type of oil, trans fluid, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Terry Szumiski

Very common in this model.

Cross-shop

, their prices are often lower.

My book shows *one* evaporator for all '93-'99(!) LHS, a plate-and-fin type.

The one and only correct auto trans fluid is Chrysler Mopar ATF+4. NO OTHER FLUID IS ACCEPTABLE, regardless of what special additives are used.

Get an owner's manual from the dealer.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Terry,

I just wanted to add to Dan's comments that if you are going to replace the filter and fluid in the transmission and keep it for any period of time, that I'd recommend you to purchase the re-useable metal/silicone trans pan gasket that is available from Chrysler. Understand that the original assembly from the factory and the majority of (Chrysler and transmission) dealers who do service do not use the gasket and instead use black RTV sealant. So when you ask the guy at the parts counter for this part, he will likely tell you that you are crazy and try to sell you the RTV. Ask him to look it up anyway and if you need to convince him it exists, the part number for your vehicle is probably the same one that fits my 1996 Eagle Vision and 2001 Intrepid (both have the 42LE transmission, which I believe was also in the LHS) is #50111114AA. BTW, the transmission oil filter is probably #4796730AB and the gallon jug of ATF+4 (you need 6+ quarts to drain and fill) is #5013458AA.

Lastly, while the ATF+4 is currently the recommended replacement fluid, to my knowledge at this time it is only available from Chrysler so expect to pay a lot for it. You can substitute the more generally available ATF+3 fluid which costs about 1/4 the price. ATF+3 is what came in the transmission from the factory. It is the predecessor to the synthetic and superior ATF+4 which is supposed to last a lot longer between changes. (I use the ATF+4 and change out at about 30-36K miles).

As you can likely tell, I am a firm believer in regular transmission oil changes and despite the lack of a drain plug have become pretty proficient at it. I really like the re-useable gasket since it is a lot easier to break the seal, drain the pan, and then re-seal. The re-useable gasket is supposed to work up to three times. I have only used it twice so far, but expect it will be good for the three and I won't likely have the vehicle long enough to need to buy another gasket.

On a related topic, while you are doing the transmission filter and fluid, replace the separate differential fluid as well. The front drive shaft actually has a separate differential which uses a touch more than a quart of

80-90W gear lube. It is very easy to drain since this has a drain plug (go figure why the differential has the drain and the trans does not!) but is a bit of a challenge to fill since the fill plug is not as easy to access as you'd like. I used a suction/pump type gun that I was able to fill with the lube and then pump into the fill hole. (This needs to be filled to the bottom of the fill hole.)

You also ask about oil. If this was not a reference to transmission oil and you were asking about engine oil, then I believe the manufacturer's recommendation for the 3.5L is 10W30. I use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter since I live in the Northern US where winter temperatures occasionally drop to about -25 degrees F and we regularly see below zero temps. Short of using synthetic, I think this is a good compromise between engine lubrication and cold starting for my climate.

Lastly, on the manual, I was able to pick up a Chrysler factory service manual cheap ($25) on the Internet. They are listed up on EBay pretty regularly and by posters in this newsgroup occasionally.

Good luck with the LHS!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman