!999 Chrysler LHS codes

This afternoon I was thrilled (not) to see my Check Engine light come on, and then find that the transmission was not shifting correctly: it will not shift up but the low gears and reverse are OK. The car has about 100K on it, and was running just fine until the CE light came on. Took the car to Autozone so they could scan it and they found the following codes: P0700, P0731, P0733, and PO734. The tech was not sure what would cause these codes, but said they are transmission related. Anyone have an idea what would cause these codes? (Hopefully a sensor?) Any assistance appreciated. Scott

Reply to
S. Williams

Very likely either the input or output speed sensor. If speedometer shuts down when the problem occurs, the problem is the output sensor. If speedometer still works, then it is the input sensor. There can be other causes, but this is usually the problem. Part is around $20. Takes $15 minutes for the first-time DIY'er to replace - must get underneath car to do it.

Bill Putney

Bill, Thanks very much for your response and info. I sure hope the input sensor is the culprit (the speedo is OK); I'll find out Friday. Thanks again, Scott

Reply to
S. Williams

You're welcome. With the 85 to 90% chance it is the input sensor (vs. internal tranny problems - like solenoid pack), you're better off trying that because the diagnostics will cost you way more than that if you take it to the dealer (apologies to Glenn) :) only to have them tell you it's the sensor and charge you big bucks to replace it on top of that. (IOW - if it's not the sensor, you're only out $20 and 15 minutes of your time and are no worse off than you are now.)

BTW - the last sentence of my previous post should have said "Takes 15 minutes...". Don't know where that dollar sign came from! :)

Bill Putney

According to the shop manual the codes mean:

P0700 -- EATX Controller DTC Present -- This SBEC II or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or Aisin controller has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The specific fault must be qcquired from the EATX via CCD or from the Aisin via ISO-9141

P0731,etc could not find in the manual. According to an ALLPAR post

it appears that P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio P0731 Incorrect 1st Gear Ratio P0732 Incorrect 2nd Gear Ratio P0733 Incorrect 3rd Gear Ratio P0734 Incorrect 4th Gear Ratio

Hence, it looks really likely (as Bill suggested) that you have a bad input or output speed sensor.

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
april1st

I'll admit it took me more than 15 minutes to change the sensor. My output sensor went sour in June and I replaced it without too much fuss. I figured that I might as well change the input sensor too while I was at it, but I found that one much more challenging. The sensor is up high enough and there are all sorts of obstructions that make it hard to get your hands and tools on it while leaving a clear shot for the socket ratchet. This was the first transmission speed sensor failure in over eight years of owning the car, hopefully the new sensors (not Mopar apparently) will last as long.

Reply to
Greg Houston

...which is specifically why I mentioned that you might want to use an open end wrench in your thread back in June:

:)

Bill Putney

Yes, you did and I'm sure I did try that, although I don't remember why I had trouble with that. It worked out in the end, but it took a while for the input sensor (the one on the left). It's probably just me, I was trying to be as careful with the part as possible, especially since it's only plastic. :)

Reply to
Greg Houston