'96 T & C temp control problem.

This is a continuation of a previous thread. The temp control for the passenger side allows cold air ALWAYS on that side. One of the NG members suggested that it might be the temp control panel on the dash. There was recently 2 temp control panels for '96s on ebay. I won one. But the guy sent me both. Even tho they look alike from the front, they have different #s on the parts and some minor construction differences. Is this just minor or do they really NEED to match the #s from the panel in my van? TIA John

Reply to
Fieronut

Upon further investigation, even tho they appear the same from the front, it seems that one of the panels is for a '98. Should be obvious which one to use...;-)

John

Reply to
Fieronut

Reply to
maxpower

The connectors are the same color and MOST of the #s are the same. The '98 has a black connector on each side and a white one in the middle. Mine has a blue one in the middle, as did the one I installed. Afer I installed the "new" one, the heater NOW works on both sides BUT 4 of the 6 button lights flash constantly. (2 middle ones don't flash.) Win some, lose some, I guess. Wonder what will happen if I install the '98?

John

Reply to
Fieronut

You need to calibrate the system. If the HVAC control module is replaced, the Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown tests will need to be performed. Once this group of tests have successfully passed, they can be performed individually. The engine must be running during the test to provide hot coolant for the heater, A/C compressor operation and to assure that the actuators are calibrated correctly. The HVAC control module is capable of troubleshooting the system in approximately 120 seconds. If a condition is detected, an error code is displayed. The error code cannot be erased until the condition is repaired and the diagnostic test is performed. Check wire before replacing components, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.

Mode, Blend and Zone (if equipped) door calibration compensates for mechanical variations in the actuators, HVAC control module and its linkages. In-vehicle calibration can be entered from the control's front panel. If the REAR WIPE and INTERMITTENT LED's flash simultaneously when Ignition is cycled ON, the actuators have not been calibrated or during the previous calibration a failure occurred

CALIBRATION/COOLDOWN LED DISPLAY CODES See table for definition of flashing LED's. If no problems are found, the control functions normally.

CALIBRATION/COOLDOWN LED DISPLAY CODES LED'S PASS/FAIL CORRECTIVE ACTION NO LED'S FLASHING-NORMAL OPERATION PASSED CALIBRATION, DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN NONE REAR WIPER AND INTERMITTENT LED'S FLASH SIMULTANEOUSLY FAILED CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS RUN CALIBRATION TEST A/C AND RECIRC LED'S FLASH SIMULTANEOUSLY FAILED COOLDOWN RUN COOLDOWN TEST REAR WIPER AND INTERMITTENT LED'S ARE FLASHING SIMULTANEOUSLY A/C AND RECIRC LED'S ARE FLASHING SIMULTANEOUSLY FAILED CALIBRATION, DIAGNOSTICS AND FAILED COOLDOWN TEST RUN CALIBRATION TEST

CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS TEST ENTRY TO INITIATE TESTS: a.. Set Blower motor ON HIGH b.. Set Mode position to Panel c.. Open all A/C outlets d.. Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped) e.. Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light) RESULTS: a.. All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds b.. Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing. c.. Acceptable results is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit. d.. After all tests have passed, Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown can be run separately. COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY TO INITIATE TESTS: a.. Set Blower motor ON HIGH b.. Set Mode position to Panel c.. Open all A/C outlets d.. Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped) e.. Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds NOTE: Prior to start of test, If the evaporator is already cold, the system will fail test. To correct, operate system with A/C OFF and the blower motor ON high for three minutes prior to starting test.

RESULTS: a.. All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds b.. Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing. If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed. CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN ABORT Test can be aborted by doing one of the following:

a.. Depressing Rear Window Defogger, RECIRC and Rear Wiper buttons. b.. Cycling Ignition OFF and then ON. c.. Control will automatically abort after 15 minutes from the time Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown was entered. The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing simultaneously.

Reply to
maxpower

MAN!!! That is a complete set of instructions if I ever saw one. In spite of being kinda long, once you read 'em they are VERY simple. Thank you VERY much....I owe you one--or a dozen! I'm gonna go out now and follow the instructions. We'll see how competent I am!

John

Reply to
Fieronut

It worked PERFECTLY. It took a little longer on the calibration than I thot it would but all the lights are out and the AC/heater works fine on both sides. Doesn't it seem kinda strange tho that in my '54 Studebaker all I had to do was put in a new cable or a new hose and it was fixed. No calibration or mode or anything and it still worked well. Why do we need COMPUTERS to operate a HEATER? I think it's because they're THERE, so let's use 'em. And MAYBE so us shadetree mechanics can't FIX 'EM! Oh well, as long as we have the NG AND guys like Maxpower to help...maybe we can get along.

Thanx again, Max.

JOhn

Reply to
Fieronut