97 Intrepid auto trans temporary failure

Has anyone had a temporary auto trans failure that came and went unexplained.Mine would not drive in forward or reverse and made a whirrring sound.after coming to a stop at the end of my driveway.When I stepped on the throttle the speedometer registered 70 KPH and I wasn't moving.After pushing the car off the road it went into gear fine and I continued on.It did it again on the way home that evening when I stopped to purchase Bridge tokens I pushed the car about six feet and it went into gear again and I drove home,Fluid level is fine.It did the same thing about this time ,twice about a year ago.Other wise it works fine with no slippage. Gerry

Reply to
gerry cochrane

My 94 Concorde doesn't engage when the transmission is cold. If I wait for a couple of minutes after I start the engine I can put the transmission in gear but if I try to do it immediately it just spins. Once it's warm the transmission operates acceptably. The dealer diagnosed an "internal failure" when the car had 90,000 miles on it. I've since put another

35,000 miles on the car. The problem has gradually gotten worse but not so bad that I've felt that I had to do something about it except for extending my AAA coverage to 100 mile towing.
Reply to
General Schvantzkoph