97 Voyager Vehicle Speed Sensor Problem?

Hi

We have one of the above 3.3L v6. It's been suffering a loss in power steering and while moving the steering just goes completely.

Other symptoms include no speedo and the doors deciding to lock themselves.

My wife has also been complaining that the steering seems stiffer than she remembers. I don't drive it that often so I can't really tell.

From looking at a lot of other posts - it seems like the Vehicle Speed

Sensor might be at the heart of it?

Could it cause the power steering to fail or do I have a number of bugs?

thanks for any advise

Reply to
Jared

On my GC, the doors lock by themselves all the time. It is a safety feature. If the doors are unlocked, and you drive a small distance or above a certain speed, then the doors get locked. I don;t think this would be a problem unless they behaviour pattern of the door locking has changed.

No speedo could be the speed sensor.

The power steering system is a hydraulic circuit. The system is pressurized by the power sterring pump. As long as the engine is running, then the pump should be pumping. I had to recently replace my P/S pump - at about 170,000 km as it was leaking. One thing that can happen with P/S is inside the steering rack. Apparently there is a piston. If the ring on the piston wears out, then the fluid will by-pass and there will be the appearance of no power steering. This usually causes "morning sickness" - that is, there seems to be no power steering in the morning when the vehicle is cold. But after driving a short distance, the power steering returns.

How many miles or kms >Hi

Reply to
NewMan

Hi NewMan

The car has about 90,000km on it.

I read in another post somewhere that if the vehicle speed sensor's (VSS) are playing up, the vehicle doesn't register that its travelling, so the safety feature of central locking doesnt kick in.

Yes - its supposed to. And normally I would mention it, but it seems that with the speedo not registering - and then suddenly coming to life, that the doors then locking > points towards these sensors.

The other thing is the limp mode where the vehicle doesnt seem to gain much power, not changing gear. apparently this also fits with VSS issues.

A background note is that we have had the steering pump reconditioned recently and I'm wondering if somehow the workshop might have upset a connection.

A Chrysler service tech seemed to agree with some problems possibly being the VSS's but he was less sure about the steering going altogether.

another thing with the steering is that we have power steering and it cuts out after a period of time..sounds opposite to morning sickness..must be "all the rest of the day" sickness

bloody cars.

NewMan wrote:

Reply to
Jared

Well, intermittant problems are the worst.

If the Speed Sendor is inexpensive, you could try replacing it and see if that cures the problem (shot gun).

As for the steering, if you paid good money to have the pump reconditioned, then take it back to that shop. Have them drive it around and see if you can reproduce the problem for them. Have them test the pump to make sure it is generating enough pressure. BTW, I trust you have double checked the P/S fluid??? Low fluid levels could cause this too.

If your van only has 90,000 km on it, it should have lots of life left! I fully intend on going past the 300,000 km mark. I will likely have to rebuild the tranny one more time, but the 3.3 l engine should make it no problem. And rust is not a problem on the West Coast.

So hang in there. In general, a car should last a LONG time if it is properly designed, properly built, and adequately maintained.

kep us up to date.

Reply to
NewMan