98 Chrylser Cirrus(Dodge Stratus look alike) rear brake problem

Hello all. New to the forum. I have a 98 Chrysler Cirrus that has a problem with the rear passenger side brakes.

3 times now, I have replaced the wheel cylinder, brake shoes, springs, and the drum, and 4 times now(yeah, it's burnt up again) it has burnt completely up because of a shoe that is dragging against the drum constantly and building up heat and then destroying everything inside of the drum. Everything was put back new each time except for the brake adjuster, which all the local autoparts stores tell me they cannot order.

I know it was put back together correctly because if you've ever seen this particular set of shoes, they only fit one way. And the left driver's side has given me no problems at all, and I was the one that did the work on it when I changed it all as well. It got a new drum, shoes, and springs only, no wheel cylinder was necessary.

It's also been suggested that the rubber hose that connects to the metal tubing that goes to the wheel cylinder may be clogged or is collapsing and not letting fluid flow backwards out of the wheel cylinder when the brake is released. I have not changed it yet either. But I did feel of the hose, for whatever good that will do, and it did not feel weak and did not collapse under my squeezing pressure. Visibly, it looks fine.

Has anybody ever had this happen, and what do you do about it?? Change hose?? Try to get a new adjuster from a dealer or a junkyard??

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
audeogod

Do you use the emergency brake when you park this vehicle? Possible cable hanging up on that side.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

I had a 97 Stratus, the only thing I can tell you is that you should check to make sure the ends of the shoes are properly placed against the bottom pins. I once had replaced the shoes, felt that one was dragging, and found that I had somehow got the drum on with the bottom of one shoe not back where it belonged.

If you have ABS, there might be something wrong with the control unit.

SRG

Reply to
SRG

OK, I hadn't thought of the E-brake causing a problem. I never use it at all though, so it's unlikely, but I'll remember it anyway. I gotta get this fixed.

Also, the shoes were put in place exactly where they belong. But I do have ABS, don't know if it's front and rear, or just front only(do they make it front only?). The ABS has been acting up lately coming on when it's not needed and almost causing me to not stop and hit people instead. I would begin to stop, and the car would slow down, then the ABS would kick in and it would roll through a stopsign and almost cause a wreck. So I pulled the ABS 40 amp fuse and now it doesn't work at all. Basically just like regular power brakes only. ABS light is still on though, but I thought that with the fuse out it would be like the car does not have ABS at all.

Reply to
audeogod

Well guys, wish me luck. I did a little research on the internet and found out that there was a recall on my car for the right rear(passenger) side brake lines. Seems that they can rub against the exaust and cause a hole in the brake line.

A few months ago we went through the car seemingly losing or using brake fluid. We would refill it when this happened. It didn't cause a problem at the time though and we forgot about it until I just read the recall notice.

My thinking is if there is a small hole in the brake line, it could have introduced debris into the line and possibly would be causing a clogged line in the rear now. Right where my problems are all located at. That would explain the fluid losses from before as well. It may even leak a little from time to time now cause occasionally I do add some to it. But not a lot so I didn't make the connection.

Of course I'm just guessing cause I'm not a mechanic short of just replacing parts anyway. And maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking. But if it turns out to be cause of this, I'll be glad.

Reply to
audeogod

Wishfull thinking.. causing the problem? I dont think so. ..causing loss of fluid? absulutely

Right where my problems are all located at. That

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
tim bur

Well, I got the drum and wheel cylinder warranty replaced from the autoparts store where I got them a month ago, and bought new brake shoes and springs to go with them. Also ordered(will be here tomorrow) a new rear brake hose, the rubber line only.

I disconnected the hose from the wheel cylinder and had someone push the brake with it this way. Barely any fluid came out. Just dribbled a little. Then I disconnected the hose from the metal brake line and had them hit the brake again. This time fluid shot out of the line like a fire hose. I reconnected the rubber line back up and repeated the test and the fluid just dribbled.

So I concluded that the rubber hose is collapsing internally, or is clogged. Either way, I'm getting a new one and will post back if this fixes it or not.

Only thing left to replace would be the adjuster, and it seems to be working fine. Otherwise, I could run a new metal line all the way back from the master cylinder. The line looks fine though and fluid flows freely through it. I don't think it's that at all.

Reply to
audeogod

Well, today I went to the autoparts store for the second(more like 5 - 6) time to pick up my part I ordered. The first time, I ordered a rear brake hose for my car with ABS front and rear, cause that's what the dealership told me it has based on the VIN. The part came in, looked just like mine except that the end that connects to the wheel cylinder looked like it was made to fit a caliper instead.

So they checked in the computer and found one that connects to a wheel cylinder and that part said it was for a car without ABS. I said whatever and ordered it cause it looked like it would fit. It came in today and I went to get it and it fits the wheel cylinder, but the other end won't connect to my brake line without removing an adapter that was on the old line. The first new part(ABS) had come with this adapter, but the second new part(non-ABS) did not. I figured I'd unscrew mine and put it on this line. I tried that but my old line fit into the adapter with a male fitting and the new line has a female fitting on it. So that won't work either!!

Now that's two parts, one with ABS and one without ABS. There's no other way, and neither one fits my car. They checked the previous model year's part, 97, and also the next year model's part, 99, and it's the same way as the 98 listings. Then they checked the left rear instead of the right rear and found one made to fit right on both ends, but the attaching brackets are different based on left side assembly. You can get it for the left side but not the right??? That's weird!

Then here's the funny part, they actually suggested I order the one for the driver's side and when it comes in, MODIFY it to fit my passenger's side by prying off the mounting brackets(two of them) and reuse my old ones with the new part. These are not bolted on so it would come off easily. They are crimped on. And if it doesn't work, then I'm just out the money cause it's not returnable once it's been modified. I said no to that and just got a refund on the unusable part I ordered.

Then I went to my brother-in-law's house with my old brake line and pried off the connecting parts they suggested to remove before just to see if they would come off without damaging them or the line. I figured what have I got to lose cause the old part doesn't work anyway. Then when I done that, the line freed up enough for air to flow through it, so I blew it out with an air compressor and now it flows freely. I guess the crimped on connector was restricting fluid flow somehow. Don't know why cause it's worked fine all this time until now. But it had the line flattened way out. I reconnected it again, but loosly so it just holds the line up. That's all it needs anyway.

Then I reconnected it to the car and reassembled all my brake shoes, springs, wheel cylinder, and drum. Now I'm waiting on my wife to come home and assist with bleeding the brakes to see if it's going to work. If not, at least the car is drivable again for short distances and can get to a mechanic cause if it doesn't work this time, it's going to get fixed by someone else or driven off a cliff and insurance claimed.

Reply to
audeogod

If your vehicle has ABS it is front and rear, you cant get just one axle with ABS. And you shouldnt have to tell them to go by the vin #, you know if the car has ABS or not, thats what the idiot lites are for if your not sure. And thats why you should stay away from after market auto parts stores. If you went to the dealer you should have gotten the part on the first go around.Sounds like a horror stoy from the get go with the auto parts store.

4764178 Right hose w/ABS w/drum 4764179 left hose w/ABS w/drum 4616064 right hose w/oABS w/drum 4616065 left hose w/o ABS w/drum

Reply to
maxpower

Well, I've always known that my car has ABS, but I don't know that much about ABS and I've been told that it can have it either one the front and rear or just the front only. The dealer even asked me what the VIN was so he could check it. I just got it for him and he said it was 4 wheel ABS. Why would he say "4 wheel" if there is no other kind?? Well if this didn't fix the car, then the dealer is the next place I'm going anyway. No more aftermarket parts for this. Three different dealers already told me they have to order the part anyway. None have it in stock so I can't even see it before I pay for it.

Reply to
audeogod

Well, I've always known that my car has ABS, but I don't know that much about ABS and I've been told that it can have it either one the front and rear or just the front only. The dealer even asked me what the VIN was so he could check it. I just got it for him and he said it was 4 wheel ABS. Why would he say "4 wheel" if there is no other kind?? Well if this didn't fix the car, then the dealer is the next place I'm going anyway. No more aftermarket parts for this. Three different dealers already told me they have to order the part anyway. None have it in stock so I can't even see it before I pay for it.

Reply to
audeogod

I think the two parts the store had were either ABS with rear discs or non-ABS with rear drums. I need ABS with rear drums.

I bled the line tonight and it bled easily, not like before where it took FOREVER. So fluid is flowing freely now. But the brakes make a thumping noise on that wheel when applied and I can feel the pedal pulsating just a little. Even the car vibrates just barely. This was the same thing I had happen before and I assumed it lead up to this. But now I wonder if it's another brake related problem that was unrelated to the hose being stopped up. I just don't know, but it's going to a garage for someone else to look at.

Reply to
audeogod

I think the two parts the store had were either ABS with rear discs or non-ABS with rear drums. I need ABS with rear drums.

I bled the line tonight and it bled easily, not like before where it took FOREVER. So fluid is flowing freely now. But the brakes make a thumping noise on that wheel when applied and I can feel the pedal pulsating just a little. Even the car vibrates just barely. This was the same thing I had happen before and I assumed it lead up to this. But now I wonder if it's another brake related problem that was unrelated to the hose being stopped up. I just don't know, but it's going to a garage for someone else to look at.

Reply to
audeogod

The trucks have all wheel antilock or just rear only

. The dealer even asked me what the VIN was so

He asked you what the vin was because he wanted to know all the sales codes that it asks you when you look up a part that pertains to your vehicle

I just got it for him and he said it was 4 wheel ABS.

Of course, either it does or it doesnt

There is another kind!!! it would be not at all

Well if this

Because they make so many brake lines for so many applications and it isn't a hot sales item they would not stock them.

Good luck Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!!