98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I purchased the vehicle a few years ago and everything has been fine until now. The battery recently went dead and upon replacing it an antitheft system is being activated. I'm not sure if it factory installed or aftermarket as I didnt recieve anything but the key with it. It has a red LED on top of the dash that has always been blinking but now the horn blows and the directionals and headlights flash. When I try to start it it starts up then immediatly dies out, and the blinking and horn continue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
wssw

Hi...

Only a little bit of help; not a mechanic, but I have a chrysler with the alarm system.

The flashing led on your dash indicates that the alarm is armed; your goal is to get it to stop flashing and you should be OK. Why it let you drive the car before the battery change is a mystery, but...

Anyway, press the unlock button on the fob, the doors should unlock and the light stop flashing. If it doesn't, then just for the heck of it, press the lock button to see if the fob (and battery) are OK If they are, then the lock button should chirp the horn and change the tempo of the flashing led.

Keep in mind that the range of the fob is quite limited, stand close enough to the car.

If pressing unlock did nothing, then try unlocking both of the keyed doors with the key. Hopefully one of them will make the led go out and let you drive it.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Sorry I wasn't clear but I don't have a FOB, just the key. The LED has been blinking since I got the vehicle.

Reply to
wssw

Reply to
bllsht